• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

22’ boost only pulling 7400 to 7900 RPM

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
My Boost is out of break in but will only pull a max of 7900 RPM and most times only gets to 7400. I thought it was a fuel issue so I’ve tried a few gallons of AV gas in the tank and put in BPR9EIX plugs. No luck.

I did have bogging issues in deep snow Friday in addition to the lack of RPM, so I’ve also added a vent in the air box to supplement when the main air intakes get plugged.

I also have experienced not coming down to idle, it will sometimes idle at 4000, sometimes 3600 and if I blip the throttle it will come down to 2400 which is still to high.

I have NOT tried a new belt, I did a quick once over on the clutches but haven’t closely inspected them yet. I will look over the clutches closely and look for issues there.

My gut says this is a engine issue more so than clutching but I’m not 100% sure on that. What are some possibilities that I’m not thinking of.

B
Feb 17, 2019
My sled did only hit about 8,000 rpm when new. Check engine light came on. The wastegate actuator wouldn’t go thru it’s learning process. Ended up being a bad actuator. The check engine light does hide a bit in the huge 7S display. It’ll show up in the upper center area of the screen…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
My sled did only hit about 8,000 rpm when new. Check engine light came on. The wastegate actuator wouldn’t go thru it’s learning process. Ended up being a bad actuator. The check engine light does hide a bit in the huge 7S display. It’ll show up in the upper center area of the screen…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve not seen any check engine light. I did get low fuel pressure warnings and took it to Steamboat Powersports. My sled was one of the first few to go to Alpine in Kremmling to get looked at and fixed “officially” I do still hear the pump occasionally but it’s not super loud like it was. No low fuel pressure warning since the “fix” however

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
What does your boost gauge show for boost. The actuator rod may be worn.
I honestly can’t say, I played with the gauge but didn’t feel like it told me anything useful. It seems like a random bar graph, and it’s biggest readings were when I chopped throttle. It did go to about half way on the gauge that I could tell.

This weekend was the first time since early January we had snow that required any sort of time at full throttle too.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Guessing i didn't know it told you boost psi. Kinda like my phone. I only know half of what it does. That's if dialing a number and receiving a call is half. I can take pictures so I'm over half.

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
If you are pinned and the boost gauge only reaches half way, you either have a boost leak or the waste gate isn’t closing.
I can't get any dealer attention for 2 weeks,

I guess I'll see if I can find something obvious that is wrong under the hood.

Is there a way to look at the actuator rod without having to do a full relearn?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I can't get any dealer attention for 2 weeks,

I guess I'll see if I can find something obvious that is wrong under the hood.

Is there a way to look at the actuator rod without having to do a full relearn?
A worn shaft will pass a relearn. Here is what one looks like.A6C6F68E-AE7B-470F-AA14-EE1590944450.jpeg093912A4-293A-41C5-83C3-B88E48354D4C.jpeg

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
To follow up on this, nothings changed much. I did put the zollinger roller bearing in the secondary at it gained about 100 rpm.

I keep felling like it’s running like a NA sled, reading Facebook today there were a few indications that the throttle body boots are delaminating, one localish guy reported the exact symptoms I’m having and his boot was delaminated. I’ll be looking at that more closely soon. It also goes to the dealer this Friday and I’ll hopefully be able to tell them where to look.

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
Did you get it to the deal for a relearn?
No, My dealer locally isn't the best to deal with (snowmobiles seems to be the side hustle around Razors and Motorcycles). That said I really feel like it's a "boost leak" issue not an issue with building boost, if that makes sense. It runs well at the parking lot and is snappy and quick, then 4,000' higher it's just not there.

I've got enough experience with turbos on vehicles and snowmobiles that it's not right. I've felt for a while it just didn't have full boost, but at times it sounded like it was building enough boost and ran Ok but then didn't. The idea of the throttle body boots delaminating and allowing a boost leak seems to fit my issues along with idle at 2,400 minimum and up to 3,800 RPM at times.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Spray some ether around the area, that with find a boost leak.

Premium Features