• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Rope Extremely Hard To Pull - wont start

150+ or nothin

Hi All,

After riding in the mountains at 7-10,000 ft elevation and returning to 1500 ft my 2020 silber turbo expert on 3psi with stock head/motor has been impossible to start twice now. The rope pulls out about 10” and pulls into what feels like extremely high compression. It’s not that I am too weak to pull it. In fact I am surprised that the recoil is holding up. I take the plugs out and it pulls over easily. Sled runs perfectly.

I got it going last time after taking the plugs out and pulling the rope, then putting the plugs back in and it happened to fire and start up on a 10” rope pull. It’s not working this time. Last time after I rode it at 1,500’ briefly in the ditch to make sure everything was good and started it the next day when cold to put it in the trailer it was back to normal at this elevation which feels like about half as hard as this does.

It’s in a 60F garage. Belt deflection seems reasonable: it’s like the compression is extremely high. Condensation in the cylinders giving perfect ring seal?

Any ideas on what might be going on and what to do about it would be appreciated!

When it does that can you spin the clutch by hand? I would pull the recoil off and see if something is loose in there. Maybe the recoil cup bolts fell out and are binding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure the tether and kill switch are in the right position not to start if your rotating the primary. These things start easy. Don’t want to lose any fingers.

I can spin the clutch by hand easily until For ~1/8 turn then it’s pretty stiff but I can get it to turn over once. I can try the spare rope on the primary tomorrow when I get back but it’s going to be nasty. If that we doesn’t get it I am still at a loss. It just really feels like a crazy amount of compression to me.

Hi All,

After riding in the mountains at 7-10,000 ft elevation and returning to 1500 ft my 2020 silber turbo expert on 3psi with stock head/motor has been impossible to start twice now. The rope pulls out about 10” and pulls into what feels like extremely high compression. It’s not that I am too weak to pull it. In fact I am surprised that the recoil is holding up. I take the plugs out and it pulls over easily. Sled runs perfectly.

I got it going last time after taking the plugs out and pulling the rope, then putting the plugs back in and it happened to fire and start up on a 10” rope pull. It’s not working this time. Last time after I rode it at 1,500’ briefly in the ditch to make sure everything was good and started it the next day when cold to put it in the trailer it was back to normal at this elevation which feels like about half as hard as this does.

It’s in a 60F garage. Belt deflection seems reasonable: it’s like the compression is extremely high. Condensation in the cylinders giving perfect ring seal?

Any ideas on what might be going on and what to do about it would be appreciated!
When you took the plugs out and turned it over did fuel come out of the cylinders? It sounds like you maybe are hydraulically locking the engine. Definitely strange

Hi all. I messed with it a bit. It pulled just as hard by wrapping the spare rope around the primary and pulling. I pulled the wastegate apart and held it open while I pulled it to make sure there was no restriction in the exhaust. The wastegate did feel a little sticky the first time I opened it but there was no sign of anything wrong that I could see. Eventually I put the gate back together. After all of that messing with it I tried to pull ridiculously hard on the rope because I was out of options and barely got it to start. I let it idle for a bit and shut it off. It now pulls over about half as hard. I am still not sure what is going on or if the wastegate even mattered but the problem seems to be fixed for now.

The plugs didn’t seem excessively wet when I pulled them.

If you have issues again try removing the pipe or just undoing the springs. So there’s a gap to let air out. Maybe somehow the turbo is restricting the air enough to give it crazy compression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to replace the recoil on my '17 recently (due to the knot coming undone - check the knot once in a while y'all) and I found using the "emergency rope" method pretty much impossible. The compression of the engine seemed super high and the surface area you're working with is so small, and the circumference where the rope is wrapped is smaller than the clutch, all added up it sucks. When I put the new recoil in, it pulled over smooth and easy. I bet something's wrong w/ your recoil, making it feel super hard to pull over. Many people with 19s and 20s have reported failing recoils too.

Premium Features

Back