• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Khaos velocity shock settings

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Anyone out their care to share their shock settings!! I cant seem to find a sweet spot, seems like the transfer is good but trying to steer this sled and have wheelie feeling is not possible so far.
I started with stock settings right out of the manual, then have played around a fair bit and cant seem to get it to handle as good as my 2017 SKS 800.
Sled is virtually stock, 155" 2.6" Rider 220lbs??? It is very nimble in the powder, but the trails to and from the good stuff....it struggles to keep up with the crew!!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I added quite a bit of preload to my ski shocks. I used the recommendation from another review to start with. Been tweaking every time I stop. Kid with a new toy I guess.

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
Talked with someone who has the same machine, he seems to have backed off the high and low to just a few clicks from soft and has the ski shock springs cranked up a bit.
Not sure but i may try something like that, all i know is the stock settings aren't working for me at this point....but our snow conditions in the interior of BC are not ideal.

K
Nov 20, 2020
I can't steer on the trails even with the RTS preload well past recommended. I'm pretty much wrong-foot-forward just to get around the switchbacks lol. I haven't been able to crank up the preload on the front shocks though... the adjuster lock ring is so tight it won't turn and I'm afraid I'll break it! (using stock spanner with a breaker bar)

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Anyone out their care to share their shock settings!! I cant seem to find a sweet spot, seems like the transfer is good but trying to steer this sled and have wheelie feeling is not possible so far.
I started with stock settings right out of the manual, then have played around a fair bit and cant seem to get it to handle as good as my 2017 SKS 800.
Sled is virtually stock, 155" 2.6" Rider 220lbs??? It is very nimble in the powder, but the trails to and from the good stuff....it struggles to keep up with the crew!!

If you want an Trail sled then buy one.

Not at all what the Khaos is for.

You can Drill a hole and tighten your limiter strap 1”...........

Then you will have an SKS with nice shocks and a 37” front end...........

K
Nov 20, 2020
If you want an Trail sled then buy one.

Not at all what the Khaos is for.

You can Drill a hole and tighten your limiter strap 1”...........

Then you will have an SKS with nice shocks and a 37” front end...........
Ya this is basically what I'm telling myself in my helmet when I turn the bars on the trail and the sled turns a little 3 seconds later. She pushes like nothing I've ever been on but the playfulness in the gnar is so fun and obviously what the Khaos is meant for. Having said that I can't even turn around in the parking lot within a reasonable distance without either getting it up on edge or laying on the bars. My wife wouldn't even be able to ride my Khaos to the cabin, she would fly right off the first turn.

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
I have a 20 850 Khaos 3 inch track i find it handles and rides really good on trails for a mountain sled shock setting are stock.My wife rides it most of the time her old sled was a m6000 i ride a 20 Alpha. This is the first Polaris iv'e owned in years super fun in the pow and easy on you getting there.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Ya this is basically what I'm telling myself in my helmet when I turn the bars on the trail and the sled turns a little 3 seconds later. She pushes like nothing I've ever been on but the playfulness in the gnar is so fun and obviously what the Khaos is meant for. Having said that I can't even turn around in the parking lot within a reasonable distance without either getting it up on edge or laying on the bars. My wife wouldn't even be able to ride my Khaos to the cabin, she would fly right off the first turn.

Hey if that’s what you want just shorten that strap.

Free99

It will still be more playful than the pro or sks due to the springs........

Dial the low speed compression adjustment on the rear rear tighter for less lift and looser for Bro wheelies.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I would be curious, where all your settings are at now?

How many clicks (back from maxed out) ?
Spring preload on all the shock springs? (especially your FTS)

T
Nov 11, 2008
What works for one person won’t always work for someone else. The only way to adjust your suspension is through seat time.

I can tell you that I started with stock settings 4-6 and then first set my ski dampening and slight adjustment to spring tension then worked on the centre and rear shock but I set it up for my specific preference. While riding side by side with someone who has the exact same sled we still ended up with different settings because of preference and sometimes variances in the product through manufacturing. Clicker 5 on high speed on one shock won’t always equal the exact same on someone else’s machine.

I don’t like a lot of ski pressure. My ski springs are set slightly on the soft side, Centre shock a little firm and rear shock softer. Dampening one both the high and low speed isn’t more than 2-3 clicks off stock either firmer or softer depending on which one.

I will say I am impressed with the amount of difference I can notice in one or two clicks on these shocks. Having had older clickers where you had to crank them to get any change and having a enduro bike which I have spent a lot on revalve and other work these Velocities are great stock shocks.

Trail compliance has been very noticeable with these. It’s not MX suspension but I really like how these handle the whoops and sharp edge obstacles compared to previous stock shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
What works for one person won’t always work for someone else. The only way to adjust your suspension is through seat time.

I can tell you that I started with stock settings 4-6 and then first set my ski dampening and slight adjustment to spring tension then worked on the centre and rear shock but I set it up for my specific preference. While riding side by side with someone who has the exact same sled we still ended up with different settings because of preference and sometimes variances in the product through manufacturing. Clicker 5 on high speed on one shock won’t always equal the exact same on someone else’s machine.

I don’t like a lot of ski pressure. My ski springs are set slightly on the soft side, Centre shock a little firm and rear shock softer. Dampening one both the high and low speed isn’t more than 2-3 clicks off stock either firmer or softer depending on which one.

I will say I am impressed with the amount of difference I can notice in one or two clicks on these shocks. Having had older clickers where you had to crank them to get any change and having a enduro bike which I have spent a lot on revalve and other work these Velocities are great stock shocks.

Trail compliance has been very noticeable with these. It’s not MX suspension but I really like how these handle the whoops and sharp edge obstacles compared to previous stock shocks.

Thanks for the feedback, way more helpful then telling me I bought the wrong sled!!! All I was hoping for was a better starting point to save some time on the trail to dial these units in....love the sled and the wizzy shocks, just thought there would be lots of useful feedback on others peeps settings.

T
Nov 11, 2008

I think you may have gone so far away from what works it’s just not working now.

My wife has tried my Khaos, while she said it feels loose compared to her RMK it’s not like she couldn’t handle it.

You would be better off resetting everything and starting over. Take all the preload off your springs and just go turn turns from loose. Reset all your high and low speed to 4/6. Start with one end of the sled, like the ski shocks first and get those to a point you feel like you are in control, then tune the centre and rear shock. I am not saying this is the “proper” way but changing to much at once doesnt let you understand what the suspension is doing.

Since you came off a skidoo which are noticeably more plush to a more rigid RMK/Khaos style suspension which responds very well to small adjustments there is a little learning curve that seat time will give you.

Where are you riding primarily? Kaslo? Norns? Giveout? The Pass? Next trip out maybe we can hook up for a ride.

K
Nov 20, 2020
I think you may have gone so far away from what works it’s just not working now.

My wife has tried my Khaos, while she said it feels loose compared to her RMK it’s not like she couldn’t handle it.

You would be better off resetting everything and starting over. Take all the preload off your springs and just go turn turns from loose. Reset all your high and low speed to 4/6. Start with one end of the sled, like the ski shocks first and get those to a point you feel like you are in control, then tune the centre and rear shock. I am not saying this is the “proper” way but changing to much at once doesnt let you understand what the suspension is doing.

Since you came off a skidoo which are noticeably more plush to a more rigid RMK/Khaos style suspension which responds very well to small adjustments there is a little learning curve that seat time will give you.

Where are you riding primarily? Kaslo? Norns? Giveout? The Pass? Next trip out maybe we can hook up for a ride.

I've got 10 hours on the sled and we've had a pretty rough time bonding lol. Up until yesterday I was mostly just trying to survive and not fall on my face endlessly. Yesterday things clicked a little and I was able to start trying some stuff and I was loving it.

I've ended up at the recommended RTS preload for my weight (210#), have left the FTS alone for now, and I'm really light on dampening in the skid at 1 click in from softest high and low speed compression. This just happens to be where I was at when I found my balance so I left it alone after that. I'm sure I will crank em down for a big climb but yesterday was socked so there was no need.

I CANNOT get the lock ring to un-mate with the adjuster ring on my front shocks, so they are still set to the zero preload they came with new. I've tried a 3 foot breaker bar counter clockwise on the lock nut and clockwise on the adjuster ring. I'm not willing to push harder than I have so they are stuck for now. Thinking i will get a second spanner and try them opposing each other.

Anyhow, I bet some preload up front would help with ski pressure, so this might be all that is making it "wife unridable" on the trail. The trail manners are pure comedy, I can turn the bars to full lock and it only turns a little when the skis catch bumps and dig. I've resorted to charging in and locking the track (ebrake turns) with mixd results :ROFLMAO:

Ya Bounce, I'm down to ride anytime! I live 10 minutes from the base of Goose/Norns and Rover so those are my usual spots. For the next month or so I will be staying away from any terrain where dropping the sled could wreck it. Lot's of meadows and wind drifts in my near future lol.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I've got 10 hours on the sled and we've had a pretty rough time bonding lol. Up until yesterday I was mostly just trying to survive and not fall on my face endlessly. Yesterday things clicked a little and I was able to start trying some stuff and I was loving it.

I've ended up at the recommended RTS preload for my weight (210#), have left the FTS alone for now, and I'm really light on dampening in the skid at 1 click in from softest high and low speed compression. This just happens to be where I was at when I found my balance so I left it alone after that. I'm sure I will crank em down for a big climb but yesterday was socked so there was no need.

I CANNOT get the lock ring to un-mate with the adjuster ring on my front shocks, so they are still set to the zero preload they came with new. I've tried a 3 foot breaker bar counter clockwise on the lock nut and clockwise on the adjuster ring. I'm not willing to push harder than I have so they are stuck for now. Thinking i will get a second spanner and try them opposing each other.

Anyhow, I bet some preload up front would help with ski pressure, so this might be all that is making it "wife unridable" on the trail. The trail manners are pure comedy, I can turn the bars to full lock and it only turns a little when the skis catch bumps and dig. I've resorted to charging in and locking the track (ebrake turns) with mixd results :ROFLMAO:

Ya Bounce, I'm down to ride anytime! I live 10 minutes from the base of Goose/Norns and Rover so those are my usual spots. For the next month or so I will be staying away from any terrain where dropping the sled could wreck it. Lot's of meadows and wind drifts in my near future lol.

Double spanner works great.

Sled on it side to get as much weight off the keeper as possible.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Hey Kootsrider, I'm going crazy with mine too. Tried all kinds of settings. Takes big hits well but stutter bumps seem harsh. More pre-load on the ski shocks makes it turn like any other RMK though. Will try going full soft this weekend and work up from there.

K
Nov 20, 2020
Hey Kootsrider, I'm going crazy with mine too. Tried all kinds of settings. Takes big hits well but stutter bumps seem harsh. More pre-load on the ski shocks makes it turn like any other RMK though. Will try going full soft this weekend and work up from there.

I actually liked them at full soft with maxed high and low speed dampening, but found it unsteerable on the trails. I finally got the ridiculously-tight locknut unseated so I have now adjusted them halfway between stock and max (10” spring length). Went another 1/8th but it just felt too planted putting it on edge in the yard. I like the soft front end and haven’t been bottoming surprisingly.

I accidentally dropped a 6 footer to a frozen lake with 5 inches of snow and even at full soft (but max dampening) those shocks took it like a champ. Pretty stoked on them so far!

go-on-two

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bc canada
I have a 20 850 Khaos 3 inch track i find it handles and rides really good on trails for a mountain sled shock setting are stock.My wife rides it most of the time her old sled was a m6000 i ride a 20 Alpha. This is the first Polaris iv'e owned in years super fun in the pow and easy on you getting there.
Hey Clutch, good to see you have something positive to say about Polaris...been awhile!!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
After the first 40 miles I had to tighten the track up quite a bit (155), now after my second run it hasn't stretched enough to adjust yet.

Premium Features