• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 died. No spark.

D
Sep 2, 2013
WY
Sled was running flawlessly when it died like I hit the kill switch. Long story short - no spark. Swapped out the coils with another 2020 and still nothing. Headlight lights up when pulling the rope (does this rule out the stator?).

Sled is in a really bad spot. Left it and rode out doubles. Really don’t think I’ll be able to tow it out.

Going back in tomorrow. Hoping it’s the TSS but I’m wondering what else I can check. I put dielectric grease on almost all of the connections when I got the sled. Only 350 miles and has run flawlessly to this point. Didn’t show any signs before it died. Just 100 to 0 like I hit the kill switch. Any tips/advice greatly appreciated!

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
The light trying to light up tells you the lighting coils is good not the complete stator. I would start by,
Checking fuses / relays
Unplug the TSS
Unplug the tether
Unplug the kill switch
Unplug the key you can do this with the main harness for the hood
Check the timing sensors connectors
Check all connections you put dielectric grease on to make sure they didn't come apart
I can't think of anything else you can do, Fuel level and new plugs????
Good luck

Last edited:
D
Sep 2, 2013
WY
The light trying to light up tells you the lighting coils is good not the complete stator. I would start by,
Checking fuses / relays
Unplug the TSS
Unplug the tether
Unplug the kill switch
Unplug the key you can do this with the main harness for the hood
Check the timing sensors connectors
Check all connections you put dielectric grease on to make sure they didn't come apart
I can't think of anything else you can do, Fuel level and new plugs????

Where are the timing sensors located?

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I would just buy one and take it with you to swap out. I don't have a ctec, but mine went out on my 15 800. Just trying to offer ideas to help.

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
That regulator is more expensive than I thought. $160....maybe borrow a known good one to try. Have you reached out to your dealer? I would so that you can have a plan when you go back to try and get it running. Never fun having to do this stuff in the backcountry, but it is better than leaving your sled until it can be recovered obviously. I hope you get it figured out and please post the solution when you get it figured out.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Not the TSS, will start and idle when that fails, only comes into play above idle

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Sled was running flawlessly when it died like I hit the kill switch. Long story short - no spark. Swapped out the coils with another 2020 and still nothing. Headlight lights up when pulling the rope (does this rule out the stator?).

Sled is in a really bad spot. Left it and rode out doubles. Really don’t think I’ll be able to tow it out.

Going back in tomorrow. Hoping it’s the TSS but I’m wondering what else I can check. I put dielectric grease on almost all of the connections when I got the sled. Only 350 miles and has run flawlessly to this point. Didn’t show any signs before it died. Just 100 to 0 like I hit the kill switch. Any tips/advice greatly appreciated!
Did you find the problem?

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Just found one where the kill switch wires at connector on clutch side were laying on exh pipe and shorted out.
Also had one sitting in enclosed trailer with heat off- lots of moisture and and frozen in there. Drug sled into wood heated shop near stove and fired up after 20min, so not sure where fault was or if it was moisture/ice.

D
Sep 2, 2013
WY
Just found one where the kill switch wires at connector on clutch side were laying on exh pipe and shorted out.
Also had one sitting in enclosed trailer with heat off- lots of moisture and and frozen in there. Drug sled into wood heated shop near stove and fired up after 20min, so not sure where fault was or if it was moisture/ice.

I also noticed the handlebar wires were close to the pipe on my sled. I re-routed them before the first ride. Don’t think that’s my issue but I’m sure it’s a common problem. Not sure if that’s a factory issue or dealer setup?

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
my dealer had me bring sled in due to wires maybe laying on pipe as "kgra" stated...don't know if it was cat recall or dealer having other sleds with the problem....dealer said it was cautionary due to set-up problem..

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I also noticed the handlebar wires were close to the pipe on my sled. I re-routed them before the first ride. Don’t think that’s my issue but I’m sure it’s a common problem. Not sure if that’s a factory issue or dealer setup?
Did you ever figure this one out?

beerios5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2013
east kootney
I found on mine that a one set of wires had slipped out of the front of the Velcro cover behind the muffler and was rubbing through one of the yellow wires and a black wire. Believe they are ignition related if I remember right. Was the harness with two yellows and a black. The wires were bare but the metal was still painted so wasn’t grounding and had no drivability issues. Something to look for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features