• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 850 Throttle Block Sticking

J
Mar 12, 2019
Anyone have experience with their throttle not completely shutting off when they release thumb throttle? How did you fix it? It is getting iced up I believe. I use the grip warmers because I like to use thinner gloves. Snow was deep this day.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I periodically take my key out and clean out the ice between block/flipper when snapping throttle won’t do it. I never have used an aftermarket block but some claim the skinz or rsi ones cure it.

Brish

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2014
The skinz throttle block works. I was tired of cruise control when I was trying to stop so I put one one this year.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Spray wd 40 inside and out a couple of times seems to take care of it also.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Skinz throttle block keeps the ice from building up on the block, but now we are feezing the cable itself. Much bigger problem. 2 of us are running the skinz block and experiencing lots of cable freezing. Tried wd40, lock de-icer, silicone with no luck. Will be putting stock block back on

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Skinz throttle block keeps the ice from building up on the block, but now we are feezing the cable itself. Much bigger problem. 2 of us are running the skinz block and experiencing lots of cable freezing. Tried wd40, lock de-icer, silicone with no luck. Will be putting stock block back on

It’s the aluminum block allowing heat transfer.

Freezes in the cable end (steel)

I’m thinking the RSI heated throttle block would fix you up.

(Or stick a couple aftermarket thumbwarmers on the aluminum right by the cable end)

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
Even if i dont run my heaters i still get frozen cable issues. I think while sitting after riding hard there is enough heat coming up off engine to melt snow that's sitting on the block allowing it to run down cable

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
The stock block protects above the cable inlet so no snow sits directly on the cable. Skinz block is totally exposed. Thinking i will probably put stock block back on. Was able to manage the ice buildup on there

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
I carry a small bottle of lock deicer with me in the handle bar bag. When the conditions are right that i am getting freeze up just give a few shot and it cleans it up. Also works handy when the cable is icing also.

animaldoc

Lifetime Membership
Mar 7, 2008
I had a similar issue. It was not the cable at all. The throttle block set screw was overtightened and causing the assembly to bulge and hang up the flipper. Not allowing it to smoothly return. Figured it out by unhooking the cable from the flipper and pulling the cable by hand and seeing how it "snapped back"

N
Dec 7, 2007
I had a similar issue. It was not the cable at all. The throttle block set screw was overtightened and causing the assembly to bulge and hang up the flipper. Not allowing it to smoothly return. Figured it out by unhooking the cable from the flipper and pulling the cable by hand and seeing how it "snapped back"
I've had the same issue, usually when I flat land a jump and come down on the bars hard. It really sucks when its a tight landing and your still at full throttle, when you shouldn't. If you tighten the set screw on the bottom so the block doesn't rotate, it will pop the small plastic part on the bottom out. If you don't tighten the set screw enough, the block just rotates back and forth, and is kind of annoying. I'm just going to put a finger throttle on it and see how it works.

Premium Features