• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 850 Patriot Motor tear down.... And the New updates

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
We had a chance tear down a few new 2020 850 motors and look them over.

Looks like all the 2019 issues were touched on.

1- Lock Ring PTO bearing with Crankcase groove.

2 - Single outlet center check valve now has ( 12 ) relief holes drilled into it. ( to avoid crankcase sealer from plugging holes )

3 - drilled oil drip holes in the upper crankcase half to supply a little drip oil to the center crank bearings.

Small details fixed on what seems to be a really nice motor.

Cheers ! To a really great 2020 riding year !!

Dan

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Great to see you back on the forum Dan. I know it was a big job moving your entire shop to the new huge building and getting everything hooked up and running. Last time I was there I was very impressed with how you took your time to position everything strategically and logically. Everything was neat and clean as well as everything set up and recalibrated to extreme tolerances. I say this because that is the way Indy Specialty treats my parts sent there. Everything is gone over with a fine tooth comb, machined and balanced perfectly and returned to me better than new. I trust Dan and his crew like Devin with my sleds and will continue to recommend Dan even though he should be running for office 2024 ;)

Tewstroke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Yakima,WA
We had a chance tear down a few new 2020 850 motors and look them over.

Looks like all the 2019 issues were touched on.

1- Lock Ring PTO bearing with Crankcase groove.

2 - Single outlet center check valve now has ( 12 ) relief holes drilled into it. ( to avoid crankcase sealer from plugging holes )

3 - drilled oil drip holes in the upper crankcase half to supply a little drip oil to the center crank bearings.

Small details fixed on what seems to be a really nice motor.

Cheers ! To a really great 2020 riding year !!

Dan
Cascadesnowjunky asked if the cylinder wall finish looked better than what you were reporting last year?
What did you see in that regard?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Great to see you back on the forum Dan. I know it was a big job moving your entire shop to the new huge building and getting everything hooked up and running. Last time I was there I was very impressed with how you took your time to position everything strategically and logically. Everything was neat and clean as well as everything set up and recalibrated to extreme tolerances. I say this because that is the way Indy Specialty treats my parts sent there. Everything is gone over with a fine tooth comb, machined and balanced perfectly and returned to me better than new. I trust Dan and his crew like Devin with my sleds and will continue to recommend Dan even though he should be running for office 2024 ;)

Humble ! I think you are giving us way to much credit, the place still feels a little mixed up.

Not to much to Devin ?

Anyways thank you so much for the nice words !!

Ride safe with al your ventures this winter !

Dan

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I got about 20 hours on my long rod 850 motor and this thing absolutely rips. I went an interesting route on this build. I snowchecked the sled from Cannon Powersports in Cannon falls Minnesota. They’re neighbors with Indy Dan. When the sled came in they took it to Indy Dans shop for the motor work. I was originally going to have Dan install a boondocker turbo on the long rod but when I saw boondocker wanted a deposit with an estimated ship date I knew better then to do that so I went high compression Indy Speciality head and full clutching with the heavy clutch cover. This thing runs so good I don’t think I’m going to turbo it now why mess with a good thing.

Anyone interested in doing this next year it’s actually pretty easy Cannon Powersports has great pricing and I got it shipped to the PNW for less then $500 I was also able to get a pretty good credit from Dan for my stock motor parts.

Not sure if this ones been used but
Indy Dan no bullshit. Just like Trump

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I got about 20 hours on my long rod 850 motor and this thing absolutely rips. I went an interesting route on this build. I snowchecked the sled from Cannon Powersports in Cannon falls Minnesota. They’re neighbors with Indy Dan. When the sled came in they took it to Indy Dans shop for the motor work. I was originally going to have Dan install a boondocker turbo on the long rod but when I saw boondocker wanted a deposit with an estimated ship date I knew better then to do that so I went high compression Indy Speciality head and full clutching with the heavy clutch cover. This thing runs so good I don’t think I’m going to turbo it now why mess with a good thing.

Anyone interested in doing this next year it’s actually pretty easy Cannon Powersports has great pricing and I got it shipped to the PNW for less then $500 I was also able to get a pretty good credit from Dan for my stock motor parts.

Not sure if this ones been used but
Indy Dan no bullshit. Just like Trump

Too bad Michelle isn't there anymore...

Premium Features