• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016-2017 Island Park / West Yellowstone SNOW REPORT

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The guys from the Magazine got up to IP and went for a ride on Monday.
They reported finding 41+ inches!!

SnoTel showed that as well, and today it has consolodated down -12 inches.
So I am going to venture to say we now have a BASE LAYER at long last!!

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
Snow Report for 12/5 Currently it's around 0 with a light wind. We picked up about six inches of super fine sugar snow on Sunday, followed by a few hours of wind gust. Went and took the Fish Creek loop today, snow conditions are looking real good once you get past 7K feet. No grooming yet, the trails are unpacked and some drifting here and there. Dont get too complacent off the trail, the snow's tempting but there's junk lurking underneath... ask me how I know

Thanks for the reports and pictures...looks like you tried to move a stump with your ski! Hope the repair goes well.

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
The guys from the Magazine got up to IP and went for a ride on Monday.
They reported finding 41+ inches!!

SnoTel showed that as well, and today it has consolodated down -12 inches.
So I am going to venture to say we now have a BASE LAYER at long last!!

I was thinking the same thing about the snow settling past couple days, must be setting up that base! Christopher, I'm wondering if you have last years snow depths on one graph that shows month to month? My group goes after Xmas and just wondering what depths wee then compared to what we should expect this year. Either way, I'm thinking we are headed towards a good post Xmas ride!

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Thanks for the reports and pictures...looks like you tried to move a stump with your ski! Hope the repair goes well.

Your welcome, I'll be posting conditions as warranted through April, I try to give it straight from a sledders point of view. One thing I've learned living here for three years, is no one, and I mean no one predicts weather in I P accurately. I get up in the morning and if there's snow I smile... and share :face-icon-small-hap
BTW grooming has started up here

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Your welcome, I'll be posting conditions as warranted through April, I try to give it straight from a sledders point of view. One thing I've learned living here for three years, is no one, and I mean no one predicts weather in I P accurately. I get up in the morning and if there's snow I smile... and share :face-icon-small-hap
BTW grooming has started up here
As far as the weather Bozo's predicting snow fall it's the same here. But if they say it is going to be -27 it will be -27. :face-icon-small-con

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
HUGE POSSIBLE DUMP COMING!!

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE POCATELLO ID 210 PM MST THU DEC 8 2016 ...

WINTER CONTINUES IN SOUTHEAST IDAHO... .

EXPECT SNOW TO OVERSPREAD SOUTHEAST IDAHO THROUGH FRIDAY. HEAVY AMOUNTS OF GREATER THAN 8 INCHES ARE EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS WITH 2 TO 4 INCHES IN THE SNAKE RIVER PLAIN. SNOW WILL LIKELY CHANGE TO RAIN FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING IN THE SNAKE RIVER PLAIN AS SNOW LEVELS RISE TO ABOVE 5 THOUSAND FEET.

UPPER SNAKE HIGHLANDS-CARIBOU HIGHLANDS- WASATCH MOUNTAINS/IDAHO PORTION- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ST. ANTHONY...ASHTON...ISLAND PARK... DRIGGS...VICTOR...HENRY...SODA SPRINGS...DOWNEY... LAVA HOT SPRINGS...MONTPELIER 210 PM MST THU DEC 8 2016 ...

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM MST SATURDAY... *

IMPACTS...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL WILL ACCUMULATE ON ROADWAYS RESULTING IN SLICK SURFACES AND REDUCED VISIBILITY. *

TIMING...BECOMING WIDESPREAD TONIGHT AND CONTINUING THROUGH SATURDAY. OCCASIONAL BREAKS IN THE SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE. *

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...

12 TO 18
INCHES THROUGH SATURDAY ABOVE 6500 FT.

8 TO 12 INCHES THROUGH SATURDAY BELOW 6500 FT. HIGHER ELEVATIONS IN THE BEAR RIVER RANGE COULD EXCEED TWO FEET TOTAL THROUGH SATURDAY. *

LOCATIONS...ST. ANTHONY...ASHTON...ISLAND PARK...DRIGGS... VICTOR...HENRY...SODA SPRINGS...DOWNEY...LAVA HOT SPRINGS...MONTPELIER

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Snow Report for 12/8. It's currently about 26 degrees with a light drizzle falling, we picked up about three inches last night. Not much to brag about.....

IMG_0087.jpg

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Snow Report for 12/12 currently around 13 degrees, no wind, and no new snow since my last report. Defiantly not living up to I.P. standards.

IMG_0093.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
And then that 11" mysteriously disappeared... Never seen that happen before.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I see 1"???
I also see NOAA saying a winter storm watch. Which hopefully turns into a winter storm warning. Up to 21" possible. Easy for me to say, I don't have to shovel it. :face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features