• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 Viper Reviews???

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I was thinking there would be more reviews on Yamaha's newest mountain flag ship. Haven't seen many. Am thinking one of three things. 1) Everyone is enjoying them so much that no one has time to post, 2) Yamaha didn't sell many or 3) There's no snow to ride in.

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
the lack of snow might have something to do with it. PLus the only people that usually start threads it seems all have a bone to pick and are unhappy with something. the rest are out enjoying themselves on their new sleds. the only places around Tahoe that have snow are the ski resorts and its has almost been to warm for them to make it. I was so happy to see rain the other day just to let me know there is some moisture in the air. there is something wrong when you can drive around Reno in December and January with your windows down in your car.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Well, the only reason I'm here is to get some honest feedback from people that actually own them. I will be snowchecking something this spring and just trying to get as much info as possible to make an educated purchase. I've owned all the big four and they all have their good and bad attributes. No bone to pick here.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Having only spent very few miles, maybe 20, on one, it's hard to say whether I like them or not. Compared to my Nytro it seemed to pull over harder, but did hold a side hill better. The track is awesome, skis would be nice if were wider but can make due, and handlebars could be lower. Overall, with more time I'm sure I would love the sled, but with my current setup I just feel more at home on my Nytro. Ride all 4 if you can, and go from there. Many had problems with oil spilling out, but ours hasn't lost any, except when we pulled the drain plug to put on the turbo.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Here's my take on the Viper, I've had a few Yamaha's (Vector, Apex). I have also rode Nytro's stock and turbo but never owned one. I snowchecked a T3 this year coming off an M1100t, riding buddy snowchecked a Viper put a 3inch 162 on it and MPI 180hp kit. The Viper is the best sled to come out of the Yamaha camp ever. The Viper is better handling then my M1100t but still not an M8 (I got a 2014 M8). My buddies Viper compared to my T3 well he can out climb me on a straight pull thats about it. Would I own a Viper you bet would I choose a Viper over an 800 probably not but an 800 suits me better. I'm thinking Yamaha will have some new iron out soon after the success combing old technology with the Viper.

T
Mar 30, 2010
Viper mtx is best sled built to date! I've owned every other yamaha out there since 05 and very impressed! It's a actual mtn Sled and will hold its own in every situation! the time you feel the weight is in marginal snow. The oil-air seperator was issue but there is retrofit and I recommend the 8DN belt over the 8JP Cheaper to!

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Over 700 miles on our MTX best 4 stroke from Yamaha so far...no oil issues , no belt issues . But does require boost to keep up with the 800 mountain sleds in the deep snow.

DPG

blown addiction

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
bad snow, 90 miles on mine and I enjoy it

I have mine for sale only for the fact there isn't much snow around here, I really like the power, I will likely gear it down over the summer, if I still have it, it is super fast, faster than I need. with the retro kit I am hoping the oil issue is solved, I only spilt a little oil but it covers everything. I like the pull of the turbo, not enough time to get used to riding it coming off a 1000 cat for the rider position. seems to tip easy and hold any line I put it on, still working on the downhill to side hill as the nose is a little heavy and I think my spring pressure was to high last ride and the skis really are too narrow. overall I would buy it again, but I am also 6'6" and 275 so the weight isn't as big of an issue for me as it would be for someone a lot lighter I think

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Viper in stock form does have a few easily fixed issues...in my opinion.

1. Stock skis suck, as a lot of people change them I suspect Yamaha just left the cheap ones on.
2. Front skid shock on the MTX is only a 110 pound spring when it should have been a 160, causes heavy steering chassis imbalance. If you like it stock change the spring and see how you like it then!
3. Clutching, not as bad on the MTX as it is on the other models but most of us putz with clutching anyways.

The above is why you might see reviews very different from one another. But like said previous this is BY FAR the best Yamaha sled ever.

CHAZWILDMAN

Premium Member
Jan 5, 2011
viper

Very fun sled for the more aggressive riders. The sled has lots of torque so hold on for a fun ride. I can pic and hold to most technical side hills but there is more of a confidence level involved when I'm on the viper compared to when I'm on my T-3, it is full commitment when on the viper as on the t-3 there is more forgivness and room to slow down and pick the line choices. the Viper needs more momentum and your decision making and reaction time needs to be quicker but when your on your game and everything is flowing its all good and your smile is as big when riding the t-3. You will know you have ridding a heavier sled at the end of the day for sure, but I like the challange and mind set for pushing the limits on this sled as i have almost 1000 miles on it this season at 9 lbs boost compared to 250 miles on the T-3 impulse at 5 lbs boost......I do like riding this sled more than my turbo pro unless the snow conditions are very low then my choice is the pro due to it is easier to tip it on its side but with 6 inches or more snow the yamaha is as easy with the same technique. After riding the yamaha i have to say the pro is my last choice to ride because of the amount of torque the polaris puts out which isn't much compared to the Viper or even compared to the T-3 for that matter...... Do not even get me started on the oil issue that this sled had from day one and the denial from mpi and yamaha on the issue!!!! This seems to be resolved at this point but only have a little over a 100 miles on the latest fix so far. The sled does need a rollover valve kit installed on it and should come with one from factory next year if Yamaha cares anything about the mountain riders!!!! This is only my opinion on this sled I am not brand loyal as I own 1 one each... Anybody is more than welcome to come join us on a ride to see how any of these sleds run in comparison to each other.

Last edited:
R

Remmy

Dec 28, 2003
I've gotten a few good rides in on mine (240 HP) and I love the sled. Handles good, Power is awesome. Kind of a perfect blend between My Turbo Apex and Pro RMK. Best combo I've ever ridden to date.

Handling isn't quite to the perfection of the Pro chassis and nothing pulls as hard as a turbo Apex. There is no perfect sled.

W
Nov 29, 2014
It's no snow for me - have lost some oil

I haven't posted because I've only been able to do a few trail rides due to lack of snow.

Have a 163" turbo (180hp).

With such limited riding I can't really compare it to my Nytro (7,800 miles - w/Timbersled, etc. upgrades) which I still own.

I've got about 300 miles on the new sled (all trail) and was only able to make turns in new snow once. There was only about 8" on top of crust and none of the inclines had enough cover to leave the trail so I was on flat ground.

I was able to do a few fun donuts and lost oil while the sled was tipped. The sled was not laying on its side or upside down - just leaned over at a pretty good pitch.

When I take it in for its first service I will have the dealer install the Four Stroke Solutions Viper package so I don't continue to loose oil. I have the unit but didn't have the courage to install it myself.

I wish I had more to report.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I got 600 km on mine so far all deep days mainly rode in trees. Boosted from day one 8-10 lbs.. No issues gas and go, throttle response is excellent on boost-it kit. 3" doo flex track 163" helps get it on top quick and racers edge t-motion type rear arm works hand in hand with track. Handles much better than the apex I had and better than the nytro which I had set up very well. Owned the other top two smokes and hard to compete with them in the trees.. Viper is balanced out better and hides the weight better. I ride with mainly 174 t3s those sleds are so forgiving stop and go in the trees on inclines where I have to be on the gas and keep the momentum up. Chaz summed it up well. I tried some 8" slydogs last trip they floated sled alot better but prefer the gripppers so far for all around handling. Raised the skid up as well front and rear the lowered ride height helps get rid of the nose heavy feeling and diving on downhills etc sled handles alot better. Lots of snow up here boost on!

IMG_3298.JPG IMG_3308.JPG revvy 3.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features