• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015/16 Snowy Range snow conditions

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
Per FB posts, sounds like they have been found. Hope it's true.

Both have been found according to SAR - might not be a happy ending from the sound of it contrary to FB posts. I'll wait for someone more qualified to confirm.

Out of curiosity, anybody know the general area they were found? That's a long time to be stuck out there, just hope its not as bad as it could have been.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think I will change the battery's in my SPOT now! So sad to hear! Some times we take fun for granted!

Sounds like this family was capable and prepared, but suffered from some very bad luck. Could happen to any of us. Thanks to all the volunteers and those who paid that optional search and rescue fee when buying their Wyoming stickers. Thoughts go out to them and their family.

Very true, a lot of people don't understand where that $2 goes towards when getting stickers on summer and winter toys.

Very true, a lot of people don't understand where that $2 goes towards when getting stickers on summer and winter toys.

I would like to clear up a few misconceptions about the 2$...

I as a volunteer often get told that "Hey I donate my $2 to SAR on every license". While it is still critical to do so It is also important to know where that money goes and how it is used.

The money that is donated goes into a large state run fund. Each fall the county's from around the state submit their expenses from SAR operations for the year and can be awarded reimbursement from that fund by a board of directors. This is what helps keep SAR operations free in Wyoming... get more information here: http://hls.wyo.gov/sar/donations.htm

As a Volunteer it does help my group and I to some degree. If i lost my Goggles, or bend an A-Arm while on a search, I can go buy a new set and submit a claim for reimbursement. I have to sit on that expense for the better part of a year before it is paid out, but it does help. We as a group can apply to have some training covered expense wise from the fund. But our group gets nothing beyond that in the way of money.

So don't get me wrong, please donate the $2, as it is a critical to helping fund SAR. But also understand that many of those volunteer groups around the state still have to raise their own money to operate. Most volunteers have to use their own equipment, user their vacation time and leave their families when the time arises.

It is an awesome feeling to be a part of a successful event. The events over the weekend are never what we want or expect to happen. Prayers to the friends and family of the lost life.

Many people don't realize that there were several other searches and rescues taking place in the area over that same time frame. Several in Carbon County as well as here in Albany County, all snow and weather related. Please go into the back country prepared, not just for a night but for several. Get a spot or other satellite device as cell coverage is limited. When we have nothing to go on other that knowing someone is missing, it's like finding a needle in a haystack!

Be safe all, and enjoy the great outdoors!

Thank you for your post and the information. Does your SAR ever fund raise locally or do you solely rely on government money? Many of the small towns where I live have a volunteer fire departments. Many of them run pull tabs boxes or have street dances to raise money in addition to the local government funding. If there is a ray of hope in a tragedy, this may be it. How can we raise money to support the SAR at a localized riding area? Area specific SAR donations? I would donate way more than $2 for all you did to help that family! We do take riding for granted. Thank you.

Very sad to hear the outcome --too bad --

Thanks SAR --you guys are great

Be a good boy scout --"be prepared"

A SPOT is the best investment I have made --I use it all the time --not just for snowmobiling

Premium Features

Back