• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 xm 800 etec overheating!

TJ427

Lifetime Membership
Sled is overheating in 12 inches powder equally as quickly as the trail. Takes 1.5 miles on the trail to have the engine shut down the sled due to excessive heat, at least as measured by temp sensor. Heat exchangers are warming up as they did previously. Thermostat was changed prior to trip since sled was getting warmer than our other XML. Now it is completely unrideable and towed out of Cooke City. Was run with front end elevated 4-5 feet without air bubbles coming out reservoir. Any suggestions? Coolant is circulating so pump seems to be functioning. Dropping off at dealer again tonight. Worked great previously except running warmer but was able to be cooled in powder in 60 seconds prior to thermostat change.

sled

got a buddy down here and his is doing the exact same thing, ill get ahold of him to see if they have his figured out at all.

Thanks, it would be great to hear what they figured out to get it running again.

U probably dont have this problem but i rented one this year and it got hot on the trail found if the snowflap is stuck up it will overheat. Popped flap back down didnt have a issue the rest of the week.

Overheat

Coolant bottle pressure cap? Ignition timing advanced? Weird gas with a specific gravity that fools the injectors?

My XM gets hot quite easily going down a hard trail, but has been fine in deeper snow. My '11 E-Tec never overheated anywhere, so I'm wondering why the XM gets hot when the XP didn't? I was going to put scratchers on the XM, because they really cool down my Pro going down the trail.

My XM was low on coolant from the dealer so I topped it off - might want to check that. I run scratchers on any trails also and have not had any cooling issues. Buddy of mine has the same sled, same setup and no problems either.

Scratchers are a must fit any sled that does not have them. Besides throwing extra snow to the cooler they also live the track and hyfax, and help keep the paddles cooler so you don't over heat them and rip em of on the trail.

Worth the 50-60 bucks for some I think.

Sled is overheating in 12 inches powder equally as quickly as the trail. Takes 1.5 miles on the trail to have the engine shut down the sled due to excessive heat, at least as measured by temp sensor. Heat exchangers are warming up as they did previously. Thermostat was changed prior to trip since sled was getting warmer than our other XML. Now it is completely unrideable and towed out of Cooke City. Was run with front end elevated 4-5 feet without air bubbles coming out reservoir. Any suggestions? Coolant is circulating so pump seems to be functioning. Dropping off at dealer again tonight. Worked great previously except running warmer but was able to be cooled in powder in 60 seconds prior to thermostat change.
Mine did the same thing 1 ride hard snow on trail 6 miles as i had to tow back 1 sled with it , took off front screen (powder kit) and stopped it and crammed as much snow in it as i could front and exaust side and was not able to get it past 4500 till we hit 6 in to 1 ft of fresh and had to get some new to stick to cooler as snow doesn't want to stick since it is anti stick paint on 13 xm's was about 18 degout when this occured. wet snow or deep no problem.

My XM was low on coolant from the dealer so I topped it off - might want to check that. I run scratchers on any trails also and have not had any cooling issues. Buddy of mine has the same sled, same setup and no problems either.

My XM was low on coolant when I picked it up from the dealer also. Pain in the buns to fill the coolant tank on these things. The engineers evidently don't ride or maintain the sleds that they are designing. I will be installing scratchers right away.

Dealer is checking with ski doo. The most worrisome part is that it gets just as hot and equally quick in deep powder vs trail.

2013 XM 163. This sled has the least heating problems of all Ive had except the old 670. 06 ran hot, put new t-stat housing in and it got better.
09 ran hot, again new t-stat housing, and water wetter made it better.
11 ran hot, water wetter, stock t-stat.
13 stock t-stat and housing, no wetter, ( although I think that is a good idea anyway) and it seldom runs warm. 1K miles so far, and the idiot light has yet to come on. It will run warm an hard pack, but it way better than the 11. Not sure what the difference is, but it's way better than the 11.

That's my experience so far..
For what it's worth.

Yella'

It appears it was the thermostat as it wouln't open even when heated up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. That was the second thermostat in the sled this year. Seems odd to have two thermostats go bad back to back....

The thermostats are bad this year and I've fixed two already and I'm not a dealer. I have a extra just in case.

I have had awesome luck with the super single scratchers. We have some long trail rides to get to the goods and we NEVER over heat with them down. You can leave them down all day if you want. They don't need much to keep cool if everything is working correctly. Be sure to not over fill the reservoir. If you fill it and it pukes out a little don't refill it to the "correct" level. Engines find their own coolant level and it will just keep spitting out the same amount if you keep filling it. Sounds like you find the problem on your sled though.

I try to stay off the trails but like everywhere u have to ride some and I have never had a over heating issue I have all my idler wheels out cable scratchers and I cut a good 3" off my snowflap only thing is when on a trail I'm not riding wide open and do like to stop or find deeper snow on the side of the trail

I have had awesome luck with the super single scratchers. We have some long trail rides to get to the goods and we NEVER over heat with them down. You can leave them down all day if you want. They don't need much to keep cool if everything is working correctly. Be sure to not over fill the reservoir. If you fill it and it pukes out a little don't refill it to the "correct" level. Engines find their own coolant level and it will just keep spitting out the same amount if you keep filling it. Sounds like you find the problem on your sled though.

Where did you find the Scratchers, Matte? I am looking for a set for my XM.

Slidekicks Super-Single Reverse Compatible Ice Scratchers
- Enhances engine cooling and lubricates the hyfax
- Same great performance as the original slidekicks, but designed by customer demand to be installed on the right-hand sliderail only to avoid loosening
- Comes exclusively with a carbide-tipped wear point
- Nearly half the weight and cost of the original Slidekicks with unbeatable performance
- Two Super-Single Slidekicks kits can be ordered in lieu of one original Slidekicks kit with the carbide tips option for a $10.00 sa

http://www.603racing.com/products/slidekicks-super-single-ice-scratchers

Premium Features

Back