• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 m8 turbo...3 inch track.. Yes or no?

J
Jan 13, 2015
Hey guys got a 2012 m8 turbo it's clutched well, but getting some hot clutches still, switching out the 8 tooth drivers for 7 tooth to help with that which opens up going from a 2.6" to a 3" track. Will I have to change all my clutching again and give me more belt issues with the extra pull of the big track or will the 7 tooth offset it? Any feedback would be awesome thanks!

HardKor

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2002
Crested Butte, CO
3" track

From your PC 2.6" to a 3", changing your 8 tooth to 7 tooth drivers will give you a final drive ratio 12% lower than you have now. Sounds to me like it might just even things out for your clutching... The X3 will take more to spin than the Challenger 3" or the PC 3", as well.
Good luck!
Kor

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
From your PC 2.6" to a 3", changing your 8 tooth to 7 tooth drivers will give you a final drive ratio 12% lower than you have now. Sounds to me like it might just even things out for your clutching... The X3 will take more to spin than the Challenger 3" or the PC 3", as well.
Good luck!
Kor

If I'm not mistaken the x3 and the pc3 are the same weight where the original camo 3" is 10 lbs heavier then the new x3/pc3 what gears are you running 7 tooth drivers are not necessary and with the turbo u might just find yourself shifting out all the time

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
What exactly have you done with the clutching? Don't gear down too much with the turbo or you will lose performance. Turbos want to be loaded. Make more power. If you haven't had your secondary cut, I would do that. Helps with the heat and runs more consistent.

HardKor

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2002
Crested Butte, CO
If I'm not mistaken the x3 and the pc3 are the same weight where the original camo 3" is 10 lbs heavier then the new x3/pc3 what gears are you running 7 tooth drivers are not necessary and with the turbo u might just find yourself shifting out all the time

The only reason to ever run 7 tooth drivers is clearance. The pc3 is designed differently and will take less power to turn than the x3. The new challengers found om the 15 skidoos is lighter than both and will spin easier. That doesn't mean one is better than another... they each habe their merrits and are all great tracks.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
You can do the seven tooths, the updated gearing and secondary clutch. The three inch will put more load on the clutches and belts and cause more heat. The updated gearing and secondary clutch are a lot easier and less expensive place to start than the track and drivers. The three inch is a huge improvement over your stock 2.25.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
What exactly have you done with the clutching? Don't gear down too much with the turbo or you will lose performance. Turbos want to be loaded. Make more power. If you haven't had your secondary cut, I would do that. Helps with the heat and runs more consistent.
I agree with you 100% on needing to load the turbo. last year I put a belt drive and a X3 track on my turbo with 7 tooth drivers and 19/50 gear ratio. The sled performed better than I expected it would with the ratio, but I never felt like it was loading the turbo very well. It made the turbo feel weak.

HCR10

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2011
Draper UT
www.comfortchampions.com
Running cutler turbo X3 track 7 tooth drivers and 21/49 gearing sled pulls hard and belt Temps are good. Tried the same setup with 19/50 gearing but was to low and would not load the turbo no matter how much I changed the clutching.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Running cutler turbo X3 track 7 tooth drivers and 21/49 gearing sled pulls hard and belt Temps are good. Tried the same setup with 19/50 gearing but was to low and would not load the turbo no matter how much I changed the clutching.
Exactly what I did. Running the 21/49 gearing now and it seems to work very well. I am actually thinking about going even higher with the gearing. I was running 21/49 with 8 tooth drivers and the 2.6 PC and it felt really good and my belt temps were still low. I ordered some different top pulleys from C3 to try with the 7 tooth's to see how close I can get to the 21/49 ratio that I had before switching from the 8 tooth drivers. 2.03 ratio puts me really close to what I had with the 2.6, but the X3 takes quite a bit more power to turn. I think the 2.17 ratio with a 29 tooth top gear for the belt drive is going to be about perfect for me. That is 29/63 for the C3 belt drive. Hope it works out.

Premium Features