• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 m8 steering shaft upgrade??? and mods must do?

Ok so just in process of purchasing a new 2010 m8 le and just wanna make sure that i get all the must dos done before i hit the slopes........

So far Im getting the bearings redone in the dd and the other sidde to ensure they are the 2 piece, unless i dont need to?

Getting a few spare primary springs as per all of your advice...

Now for the steering shaft, I hear this telescopic stock one is junk? not really sure what to do springs i can change on the hill a steering shaft never tried but dont really wanna pack a spare one..........NEED YOUR INPUT ON THIS ONE GUYS....

as well has anyone powder coated the rear rails on these, I want this thing all black if its posssible, and i have seen picks of these with gray a-arms and black ones does anyone sknow what the stock color is.........

Steering post

Only a few people are breaking them. Mainly the jumpers and the 300Lb guy that uses it to get his sled un-stuck.

Replace the 2010 Spring with a G/W Ti speedwerx and forget.

I would replace the can and maybe some vents

Ride it

Now for the steering shaft, I hear this telescopic stock one is junk? not really sure what to do springs i can change on the hill a steering shaft never tried but dont really wanna pack a spare one..........NEED YOUR INPUT ON THIS ONE GUYS....

im not a jumper (nothing crazy), and i definitly dont weigh 300lbs (180 w/gear) and i busted the top of my bulkhead on a 2010 m8 with only 800kms. i think its from rough trails personally, no groomers out here, so it gets pretty rough sometimes....and i have been knowin to be a little impaitent. in the sticky "popular M-series" theres a thread with some really good fixes for the bulkhead to strengthen it. ive also folded my steering post. going for the non adjustable and gonna weld a chunk of something in there to give it some support. missed a month of the best riding because of these to problems, and it sucked....just my .02

Only a few people are breaking them. Mainly the jumpers and the 300Lb guy that uses it to get his sled un-stuck.

Why is it you are the only dealer in the country that hasn't seen this as more than just a rarity? Sorry, but I disagree with you 100% & so does every other person in the industry that I've talked to.

Last time you made that comment Michelle mentioned that she saw it as even more of an issue than I do & she couldn't believe that you would claim it's not an issue.

Why is it you are the only dealer in the country that hasn't seen this as more than just a rarity? Sorry, but I disagree with you 100% & so does every other person in the industry that I've talked to.

Last time you made that comment Michelle mentioned that she saw it as even more of an issue than I do & she couldn't believe that you would claim it's not an issue.

Is BDX's new steering post worth the money?

Im cool with the design, I bent mine last season, and did it with my chest and ribs and didnt suffer any broken ribs, had it been strengthened I prolly would have busted ribs and a broken bulkhead, it was only 50 bucks to fix, if you make them stronger then something has to give somewhere else.

I cracked my bulkhead and the post still didn't break, I ride with them all the way up most of the time and eat the bars on an embarrassingly regular basis. Bent it 15 degrees and bent it back with a pipe and still no troubles. I am sure there are good ones and bad ones but for me I would probably just stock a spare in the trailer than change the design.

If you have your sled insured (and know how to use your insurance) and you know how to operate a Tig welder, cracking your bulkhead will be the best thing that ever paid off your sled:)

Last edited:
i think the adjustable steering post is awesome! i'm no chris burandt or anything but i can manage to ride i sled pretty good. and i'm usally kissing the hood more times than not haha i haven't had a problem with the bars! only thing i done was install the anti-slop bushing from BDX. anyways i think there good and you can tell me i must not ride hard as many times as you want!

Let me be more clear

I think that you are right when you add 4 more inches of leverage to the post it only makes sense that you will have a better chance at breaking things. We have fixed several sleds but to say the 09 is more prone to break than a 07 or 08 I do not buy. Same tunnels and bulk head but I will agree with you that it needs to be beefed up for some riders. Now I do not know exactly what is causing them to break. All I can tell you is what I see. I guess if you know you are that rider then beef it up but I can not suggest it for all. I personally have not seen it " that don't mean it is not true" but with the 20 or so cat RMSHA riders in my area and the countless customers and turbo we build and ride I just do not see it.

So all I am saying is yes I see it just not every sled nor every customer.

If backcountryislife was my customer his would be reinforced before it left my shop.

X2

The BDX anti-slop bushing a must.

i think the adjustable steering post is awesome! i'm no chris burandt or anything but i can manage to ride i sled pretty good. and i'm usally kissing the hood more times than not haha i haven't had a problem with the bars! only thing i done was install the anti-slop bushing from BDX. anyways i think there good and you can tell me i must not ride hard as many times as you want!

I am the three hundred pound guy that kevin replaced a set for, the adjustable is no weaker than any other post... I broke mine creek jumping, and the guy on the dragon in front of me broke his as well.

We like them enough we have been adding them to sleds with non-adjustable.

The adjustment is not failing, the bars are breaking at sheer point created by the mount...Just like all other handlebars.

When I replace mine I DID NOT reinforce it. I prefer to let it fail the cheap way again, rather than transfer the force to more expensive parts of the sled or my body.

Premium Features

Back