• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 Dragon Rips!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I rode a 2010 Dragon on Sunday. It runs very, very well and there is not a hint of a bog anywhere in the RPM range. We rode between 8,000 and and 10,500 all day. It seemed to have more power and better throttle response than a 2009 (with an SLP pipe set up) that I rode a few weeks ago. I would definitely put this sled up against an XP or a Cat and expect it to be the best in terms of power and climbing ability!

The sled may have been a pre production prototype. However, I was very impressed. I hope that the things they did for that motor end up in my currently broken down 08 Dragon. It will not be cheap for Polaris to repair all of the 08 and 09 Dragons but they need to do it to keep their customer base.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Sounds good... and we need to keep in mind that this IS a proto as you pointed out.

Polaris does not have to run EPA cert mapping in these Verification sleds...

I have confidence in Polaris though and I'm actually going to be getting into an 800 for next season.

If the engine problems on the 800's are remedied and they make at least the advertised power (154 or better) then the 2010's should be a very good sled being the 4th year on this basic setup with refinements in calibrations and little tweaks here and there.

The 2010 M8 is going to be a tough "out of the box" sled to beat though... but the team in Roseau is up to the task if the "team" in Medina will let them make it happen.

Last edited:
A
Mar 24, 2008
Alaska
Thats the best news that I have heard today since I finally quit testing the water and jumped in. '10 800 dragon 155 is on the way. Man I hope that it kicks ***.

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i rode a 2010 at sea level and it still had a hint of bog. but not sure what mapping they had in it. dealer said it was the latest 09 mapping (which would make sense with the bog) but i don't necessarily trust everything that particular dealer says. nice guy but just doesn't always seem to be in the "know". but yes seemed to be a very nice sled.

pv

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I am totally on the fence as what to buy. My trailer and 2 sleds were stolen recently and I need a replacement.

Lat 4 sleds
2001 800 RMK SCS 151
2004 800 RMK
2005 900 RMK 166
2009 800 Summit Hill Climb

I really want to go back to Polaris but I am not convinced they will have the 800 problems fixed for the 08's or 09's any time soon if at all. Or the 2010?????

I totally dig the suspension of the Hill Climb but the XP is one Fugly machine, I hate that stealth fighter look.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
once again the Horse has spoken words that are oh so true, if Medina keeps out of it and lets the men from the north do their thing we will all be on cloud 9 , because we climbed the mountain to get there. Also as the Jack fix is so good the PC3 is a no brainer at $350.00

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know about the map that was in the sled or anything else but I again attest that it ran very well. It spanked a modded Ski Doo 144" with a 40 horsepower nitrous shot with the same rider on both sleds! Some of that was track but not all of it in the snow we were in. It made great track speed and held RPM up the steep chutes at nearly 11,000' in heavy spring snow! Coming back, the field that we had to cross to the trailer was mush and it still held RPM. It was like water skipping! When you stopped you would sink in to your knees off the sled.

M
Mar 14, 2008
MI
It is funny that every year polaris puts out sleds like this that rip in preproduction form to get hype up and then they lay a big egg when the current models hit the ground.... To me this is just more crap from polaris, when they fix my sled like that one I will beleive there crap then. Not sold on there fix from the bozo's up there.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
soooo, please clue me in to what magic changes pol has supposedly done to the dragon to make it so impressive...I have spoken to someone that knows and he/she told me that there isn't going to be much of a change to the sled for 10 at all:rolleyes:

B
Dec 4, 2007
Sounds good. How is the track on the assault 2010? the paddles look awesome..look a little bit like the summit xp`s 2008 track. Will it come in 3" pitch and in 162"/163"/166" length or it is only in 155"?

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
I rode it again last Saturday north of McCall. It ran great again at 6,000 to 8,500. no problems, no bog. I held the throttle down the trail (Warren Wagon Road) at different throttle settings. It ran perfect.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I've had a 2010 D8 for almost a month now and there isn't a bog, a hesitation, a blurble, nothing. It is smooth from start to finish and has a nice grunty pull from the bottom. Riding in the ravines at Mt. Baker is alot of in and out of throttle type of maneauvering and she never hesitates in transition. It gets 2 thumbs up from me!

As MH stated, these are prototypes and do not comply with EPA standards. I'd love to keep this 2010 and ride it back to back with a production model and see what the difference is.

I did get to ride it back to back w/ the 2009 M8 last weekend. The M8 felt gruntier and feels like it tractors along where the D8 felt like it hauled. Going from machine to machine I sure noticed the M8 has alot more vibration. Just my perspective though. Both fun machines. :cool:

Premium Features