• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 800 dragon boondocker turbo tuning

C
Dec 6, 2013
I have a pump gas bd turbo on 2010 dragon, running at low elevation Mn, Sunoco 110 psi numbers are 38 43 48 and the 3000 and 5000 are all at zero.
It starts hard when warm and I have a flutter at 3/4 throttle. I have gone both ways with the mid and hi psi numbers and does not seem to change anything. Boost is at 5.3, plugs look good, I am stumped!

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
Dragon BD turbo tuning

Need more info. What elevation are you at when you say, low elevation? What ecm flash do you have? The early 08-09 flash worked better for me. Do you have any a/f or egt gauges on the sled? You might need to get the low elevation boost diaphram on the turbo from BD for low elevation.

C
Dec 6, 2013
I am at around 600ft, I bought it last spring with 400 miles, they told me the flash was updated. I have been on the phone with boondocker several time, I think they are tired of hearing me but I have had to take a lot of fuel out just to get it to run ok, a/f is 15-16 on low end and 12-13 mid and high. Plugs look ok dark card board color. I put there adjustable actuator on and have the boost turn down this far as I can go, the control box reads 5.3 psi. I am new to all this electronic tuning what is the TPS on the control box does that need to be on? Throttle position sensor?

ridgeclimber

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Maple Ridge B.C.
Dragon BD turbo tuning

I am not an expert either. Ive installed a couple of these kits and have my 08 800 dragon turboed. They have been good but have had there hiccups at times. Being at 600 ft. at elevation it will be harder tune. Make sure you give it some extra race gas, just to be safe. I would suggest 50/50. The few times I've had mine act up and was over fueling and could not tune it. It ended up being a loose wire in the BD harness. Take a look at your stats screen in the control box. Check the inlet air temp reading. When mine was acting up a wire pulled out of the BD harness for the air intake temp sensor on the air box or the inter cooler. The stats in the BD box I think it said 225 degrees, when it was minus 20 on the mountain. If it thinks it's too hot it will give extra fuel to cool it down. I would then take it out for a test run. With the boost turned all the way down. Start off with partial light throttle on a long steady pull. Keep an eye on your egt's. I don't trust the a/f gauge. They get fouled up from the race gas. Adjust your low psi# until you get the egt's at about 1200 to 1250 degrees. Then try middle throttle, adjust the mid psi#, then wot and adjust the hi psi#. With mine it always craps out abit when I unload at low elevation, then clears up with elevation. Good luck.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
You definitely need to go back to the superceeded 09 flash. I run 10 lbs at sea level on 100 ll, the ebc does add boost with elevation but mine gets fatter and fatter with elevation. I have to adjust fuel #s as the boost goes up, easy enough to save with the bd box.

C
Dec 6, 2013
Well I have a new EGT gauge coming I will give that a try this weekend, I'm not trusting the A/F sensor it's all over the board and I will try the 1/3 1/2 and full throttle method. Thanks for he help

Premium Features