• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 700 RMK Electrical Help?

Sleddogg

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Dayton, WY
Wife's sled has about 500 miles on it.
Ran most of today day just fine, then just died randomly at idle.
Started it and none of the gauges worked, ran for a few second and died.

I looked through all the wires and checked under the hood, but nothing. Put some snow on the electrical boxes and sat there for 5 minutes, then tried again and it started right up and gauges worked so I rode it hard to get closer to truck.
5 mins later, same thing. sled died and gauges quit, let it cool off and did this all over and over till I got to the trailer.

Are you guys thinking the Voltage Regulator or what else might you think?

Thanks

S

saskhillbilly

Feb 20, 2011
it would be your voltage regulator there is an updated one for the 2010's , i had the same problem with my assault. had to limp it back 26km out of the hills the same way you did. mine was all covered under warrenty and they extended it for the voltage reg as well..

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
Was travelling home with another guy with a '10 600 SB and started doing the same thing. First the MFD and all lights would die, then ride like that for a bit then engine would die out. Was doing that every mile or 2 so we left it on the trail. (Don't worry, we are in the Arctic and middle of the tundra so won't get taken.)

Just wondering if it would be the capacitor or voltage regulator? The reason I ask about the capacitor is because it seams like it would charge up while off then all power would drain out then kill the lights first then the engine.

T

thebirdman

Dec 18, 2007
My sled is doing the the same thing! the MFD quits and then a mile or two later my sled dies? It is a brand new '10 rmk 600 with 8 miles on it! Did it to me today about 2 miles from the truck. Can the voltage regulator be garbage already?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
My sled is doing the the same thing! the MFD quits and then a mile or two later my sled dies? It is a brand new '10 rmk 600 with 8 miles on it! Did it to me today about 2 miles from the truck. Can the voltage regulator be garbage already?

Yes it can and hopefully it hasn't smoked the ECM already.

And unfortunately, the voltage regulator has NOT been updated. The voltage regulator you buy from Polaris (4012930) is boxed with the old part number (4012476) and a sticker with a new part number over the old one. I've installed 4 of them now on 09-10 CFI-4's and ALL of the numbers ink stamped on the VR have been the same as the failed VR's. It is no conspiracy (wink, wink) it is still the original 09-10 VR.

Heads up, to save the ECM from smoking if this happens in the future, immediately disconnect the 3 orange wire connector at the VR. This feeds the ECM extra power for the injectors when cold (I'm told).

As for extending life of the VR, a ground strap from the chassis ground on the electronics plate to the engine will help. And some have installed small 12 volt fans on top of the VR as in my testing, seem to run very hot and don't get much free air in the current location. Some have even remounted the VR above the black plastic electronics cover.

Another FYI, 05-06 Polaris 900 and 06 700's Voltage Regulators will interchange with all of the 07-10 CFI-4 6,7,and 800's.

T

thebirdman

Dec 18, 2007
Okay so how do I know if I fried the ecu? Also I have another new 08 rmk 600 (exact same as the 10 except carbed) and a 06 700 (755). I can swap the VR's around on either of these sleds? Should I try swapping some parts around? Both the 08 and 10 have a 1 year warranty so should I just let the dealer mess with it? My only concern is my dealer is 4 hours away so I dont want to bring it back and still not work!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Okay so how do I know if I fried the ecu? Also I have another new 08 rmk 600 (exact same as the 10 except carbed) and a 06 700 (755). I can swap the VR's around on either of these sleds? Should I try swapping some parts around? Both the 08 and 10 have a 1 year warranty so should I just let the dealer mess with it? My only concern is my dealer is 4 hours away so I dont want to bring it back and still not work!

The carb'd sleds VR will not interchange. The 06 700's VR will interchnage but good luck removing that one for testing purposes. It's buried and riveted to the bulkhead. As for the ECM being kapoot, you can remove it and look on the bottom for bubbling of the black rubber showing any signs of being sizzled but this isn't a 100% diagnosis as a bad ECM doesn't have to show signs of sizzelean. And yes, let the dealer sort it out if you have warranty.

S
Dec 15, 2007
Colorado
Stator wire?

A friend had a 2010 600 RMK do the same thing. Plugged it in to Digital Wrench and the code directed the tech to a high voltage reading (don't recall the circuit.) He pulled the flywheel and discovered the stator harness was routed wrong and the flywheel had rubbed the insulation off the wires. The wires would short on the flywheel and send the sled into a seizure. Polaris warranteed the stator and no problems since.

• Wow
Reactions: Kelsey 800
Premium Features