• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 DRAGON 800 BOGS UNDER THROTTLE

I have a 2008 dragon 800 with aerocharger. I was pulling a hill under full throttle and the sled lost all power but was still running. I turned it around and checked and replaced the plugs. Sled starts and idles fine. It seems fine under tip in but will not pull over 5000rpm and barely makes the sled move. As soon as the clutch engages it starts to bog out. It feels almost like the exhaust is plugged, if I feather the throttle it seems better but not by much. I checked the compression, 100 psi both sides at 1500 feet. Took fuel sample, no contamination. Belt looks good. Clutch spring apears fine. I did notice some oil in the turbo charge tube and comming out of a hose from the exhaust valves. I just had a new intake installed and one of the throttle bodies popped off just before this happened.
Could it be exhaust valves?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx.

You made a good point about the exhaust...I had some baffles on more than one occassion come apart and plug the output of the exhaust...no air out will cause no air in and she will bog like crazy...I got lucky on the first day of a trip and was able to pull the crap out with needle nose..swap cans and test..of pull the can and shake the cra_p out of it.

Also check your reeds..turbos are hard on reeds..will idle ok run WFO fine but just a little take off and it will fall flat on its face.

Good luck..oh also on the gate valve(cant remember the right name) on that Aerosharger unit..small valve on lower left side as viewed from the Exhaust side.. there is an eclip with a smal shim washer behind it...if that eclip falls off same symptoms..if the shim washer isnt there you will blow eclips every time you ride. They are a bitc_h to change on the snow in the IQ chassis..get an eclip plyers that holds the eclip for you.if thats the case.

Good Luck
Mark

turns out to be a restriction in the turbo (aerocharger) I pulled it off and the sled runs fine... just a little hard to breathe with the exhaust blowing in your face..lol
If you have an aerocharger be careful of torn or loose intake boots, the dealer just replaced mine and didnt tighten it up so the throttle bodies blew off and over spooled the turbo taking out the bearing, this then causes damage to the compressor and restricts exhaust flow

Premium Features

Back