• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 Summit X 800r Upgrade Thoughts

D
Jul 13, 2009
Reno, NV
I am hoping someone can give me some thoughts on upgrades that they would do to a 07 Summit X 800r. So far it has running board stiffeners, has been reclutched (although I would be interested to know about aftermarket clutch options for it), had all the updates done, has aftermarket can, flo right vents, cold air intake kit, and a hot air elimination kit.

I know I would like a set of Ice scratchers but would like some thoughts on the best kit, I am wondering if a big wheel kit offers much in the way of benefits other than cosmetic, am wondering what other exhaust options might be out there, and then am wondering about any motor options that will not too negatively impact fuel economoy.

My main goals on this machine are reliability and longevity. If I can find some upgrades that will not harm those items and still allow me to run normal pump gas then I am definitely interested.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
I am hoping someone can give me some thoughts on upgrades that they would do to a 07 Summit X 800r. So far it has running board stiffeners, has been reclutched (although I would be interested to know about aftermarket clutch options for it), had all the updates done, has aftermarket can, flo right vents, cold air intake kit, and a hot air elimination kit.

I know I would like a set of Ice scratchers but would like some thoughts on the best kit, I am wondering if a big wheel kit offers much in the way of benefits other than cosmetic, am wondering what other exhaust options might be out there, and then am wondering about any motor options that will not too negatively impact fuel economoy.

My main goals on this machine are reliability and longevity. If I can find some upgrades that will not harm those items and still allow me to run normal pump gas then I am definitely interested.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Big wheel kits will do nothing for performance

The stock cluthing is pretty good but both primary and secondary clutches are plagued with premature failure of parts (rollers, bushings etc.)

Best thing is to make sure that ALL bushings and rollers are healthy. With worn internals, the sled 's performance suffers badly.. I would bet the primary rollers are shot for sure.. They like to wear out about every 400 miles. replacement rollers don;t last much longer.. I finally robbed some from an older TRA III primary clutch to get longer life. Other than the rollers the TRA 7 (your clutch) works excellent! Lots of bad press surroundng it but it is really just worn internals that cause it to not perform well.

Stock exhaust works very well. be very careful with aftermarket cans.. Many cause issues.. We run the Skinz Super Q and they seem to work fine.

Stock airbox is a must also.. Do not change anything with it. There is no hot air entering.

Side vents are a good addition also..

GREAT SLED!!

We offer a several solid performance packages, all on 91 octane, for that sled, Feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss it further.

Kelsey

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Team secondary, do as RKT says on the primary....just make sure it's in good condition, and ditto on getting rid of the Lite track, it'll make it a whole new and improved sled!

D
Nov 24, 2008
mountain home, idaho
oh, snow eliminators are a pretty nice deal... but that is just minor sh@t. and if you're taller go with a 8 in riser... i rode last year with the stock and it was a hair to short.
daner

Last edited:
D
Jul 13, 2009
Reno, NV
Thanks to everyone for the great thoughts, definitely keep them coming. The clutching sounds like the most immediate item to focus on. I was also reading about some Rave valve issues with these in some of the forums. Is that an area of concern that should be addressed soon as well? Also been reading about some of the water issues with the ECM but that has been well maintained by the previous owner who took it out each season and put in a bunch of diaelectic grease, which I will continue to do unless someone has some thoughts on how to button that thing up once and for all. Thanks again and keep the thoughts coming.

D
Jul 13, 2009
Reno, NV
Also along the lines of changing out the track, what tracks would you all suggest for this? I will use the one that is on it for the beginning of this season so that I can get a feel for what it is like normally but later on in the season will likely be game to change it out. I just want to make sure I have a baseline set to be able to really see the improvement with whatever I go with. I had been reading quite a bit in the forums about how much people hate the track on it. I did read about one person who did some cutting on the track to, as he stated "soften it". He noted a drastic improvement. Anyone had any experience along those lines? Thanks again.

J

jsandgren10

Jan 17, 2008
Northern California
The big wheel won't improve performance, but if you ever have a hard time sidehilling it makes a big difference.

For the track I would recommend the powdermax from an 06x. Or you can buy the same track from tracks usa which is the 9940 camoplast track they offer. That is if you are a 151" track.

For clutching, I prefer Dynamo Joe's kit. Best bang for the buck, imo.

B
Sep 10, 2008
SE Washington
I have no technical info to offer, but just some advice. Whatever Winter Brew says, do it! The man is a genious. I picked up his '07 800 this last spring and it is dialed in perfectly with Rooster Built clutching, track, air vents, etc.

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
run the SLP Head and Y PIPE AND CAN..... HUGE gains in the HP dept... runs on pump gas and very reliable ... About 18 more ponies

Premium Features