• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2005 SKIDOO RT 1000

I
Nov 23, 2010
My son and I purchased an Arctic Cat M6 last year and quickly learned that 1 sled/2 people isn't much fun. So, we've been looking at a new sled for him (something with a little more power) and he fell in love with the following '05 RT 1000 for $3,500 (we talked him down a bit):

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=13359788&cat=146&lpid=3&search=

There doesn't seem to be much out there about the RT 1000. We'll be riding mostly in central Utah (Schofield area).

Can someone help me out with the goods and bads of this sled? Also, is it worth $3,500?

Thanks,

P
Oct 26, 2010
Ya get over to DT and check out a thread on the RT.
but first off you want to see if it's got a new engine.. seems like
everyone blew em up right out of the box, you'll want a thermostat on it,
the 07 Mid-elevation mapping flashed to the ECU, upgraded Fuel Lift pump
and rear cooler delete, oh oh and a floating secondary clutch.
when you get the machine make sure you clean out the E-RAVES and the
reed cages, as there's probly a ton of belt dust in there, and that's the killer of this engine. once you get it first thing is
Pods on the throttle bodies
Thermostat install
E-Rave mantenance
Floating 2ndary clutch
Rear Cooler delete
Lift pump relocate/replace.

I Love mine!!
if you got it for 3k ish your golden.. any more you may be stuck

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
My son and I purchased an Arctic Cat M6 last year and quickly learned that 1 sled/2 people isn't much fun. So, we've been looking at a new sled for him (something with a little more power) and he fell in love with the following '05 RT 1000 for $3,500 (we talked him down a bit):

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=13359788&cat=146&lpid=3&search=

There doesn't seem to be much out there about the RT 1000. We'll be riding mostly in central Utah (Schofield area).

Can someone help me out with the goods and bads of this sled? Also, is it worth $3,500?

Thanks,

I had a 06 RT1000 for a few years. Bought it 'new' (35 miles) in the spring of 2006. Sold it last year for 4500, and I thought I was very lucky to sell it.

For a big (over 200 #) strong young guy it's a great sled. I'm plenty big, but no longer a spring chicken. Half way through the day the sled was taking me for a ride- not the other way around. They have lots of power, but they are heavy. Like all sleds they had their issues, but could be made to run right with a couple simple mods.

Things I did:
Removed outer airbox (it clogs with snow too easily) and put the fine filter material from SLP over the inner airbox horn. Vented the left side panel.

Thermostat kit is necessary. Without T-stat: You ride strong up the trail to the play area, jump off the trail into the powder and the water temp drops like a stone and the computer thinks you just started the sled for the first time that day and retards the timing - very noticable/disappointing. Put in a thermostat and a warm sled stays at a more constant temp and you wont loose power went jumping into the fluff.

162 inch track. This is a heavy sled. I bought the sled new as a 151 and changed it to a 162 - night and day change - it stayed on top of the snow, instead of plowing through the snow.

I stiffened the running boards - riveted some 1.5x1.5 angle aluminum 6061 alloy to the outer edges. My boards remained straight - even with my lard butt jumping on them - not a small feat for older Doo's.

and of course: clutch kit. Buying used sled - probably has a clutch kit.

gearing: They need to be geared down a touch, I chose to do this by changing the 10 tooth (track) drivers to 9 tooth drivers (10% lower) and
then gearing up slightly for an overall 5% lower gear ratio. The older Doo's had very little clearance between the paddles and front of tunnel. The smaller drivers gave more room for the snow to get through the front tunnel area. The newer Doo's are factory built with more room between the paddles and tunnel. Note: don't overdo the lower gearing - Big John pointed this out to me - and he was right. Clutching is much easier if go easy with lower gearing.

that is my input

good luck

P
Oct 26, 2010
@Papa Bear :: did you get a summit? or an MXZ? the summits stock gearing is 21/49 which is near perfect for the 162" track, ditch the rear cooler and get an 07 ECU flash, DJ clutch kit and you'll love it!

Premium Features