• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2 wheels vs 3

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
i have a 2 wheel kit and i was wondering has anyone ran just two wheels on the outside? i didnt want to have to get a third but is it necessary?

P

papa bear

Nov 26, 2007
Hobart, WA
I ran a 2 wheel kit at one time . . . . won't do that again.

My 2 wheel kit was the inside wheels.

Had a bearing failure of one of the wheels on Mt Baker. I was very lucky to get back to the truck on one wheel. That one wheel was wobbly by the time I got back to the truck.

Note also, that the 2 wheels were the "cool looking" aluminum wheels. No give. Shock loads go straight to the bearing. Plastic/composite wheels give a little and the spare the bearing.

Everyone is different. For me, I will not go back to a 2 wheel config.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
i have a 2 wheel kit and i was wondering has anyone ran just two wheels on the outside? i didnt want to have to get a third but is it necessary?

The third wheel on the inner right is to offset the drive side pressure which comes from the left and IS necessary to prevent slight cavitation. That is why you should never run just two outers but two inners is fine. Feel free to confirm with Camoplast - I think they know a thing or two about tracks!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
Premium Features