• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1997 ski doo summit 670?

R
Jan 26, 2009
Spokane, WA
Hey doo guys I was wondering how well a 1997 skidoo summit 670 would run, be, etc. I am considering buying a new sled for this winter, I now ride a polaris never bought or owned a ski doo before. The one I am looking at has domed heads, slp pipes, simmons flex skis, 144-16-2 track. The guy wants 1400 for it and the sled has 4700 miles. What do you guys think, is it a good deal, any problems with those machines, and what is the chassis called for that year?

Thanks

X

x-guy

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
the chassis is S2000, I believe that year summit was the first stock sled to make it over jackson hole if I remember right, they are good mountain sleds for the age, but steering on stock models was a little hard, it always seemed to want to push, but with mods that could very well be fixed. As for the price, I dunno really, it seems a little high to me, but I dont know much about the mods, or the shape of it, but I sold my 98 Summit X 2 years ago for 1700 CDN with 2800 miles.

S
Dec 7, 2007
I have the same sled as a back-up. Bought it new, now has over 5000 miles with very few problems.

Replace the stock skis, check the limiter strap (they wear quickly), service the clutches and ride. You won't find a more dependable sled !

Very easy to convert to a 144 in track, Just move the skid back and down. I can't remember the exact measurements but you can measure a 99 or 2000 model with a 144 as this about all the factory did to make the change.

As for steering, it will be easier to lay over and turn than most other trailing arm suspension sleds in the same year range. As with any sled the more weight you loose the easier it is to turn, so remove all racks and extra accessories.

There are usually lots of parts that will fit the S2000 chassis in the swapmeet.

• Haha
Reactions: mntgoat
A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
I picked this one up around xmas time last year for 1300 felt it was a good deal. I think there great little sleds a little lacking on track but that can be easily overcome. The only time we had problems with it is when it was tipped on its side took forever to get started.

summit670done004-1.jpg

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
the chassis is S2000, I believe that year summit was the first stock sled to make it over jackson hole if I remember right, they are good mountain sleds for the age, but steering on stock models was a little hard, it always seemed to want to push, but with mods that could very well be fixed. As for the price, I dunno really, it seems a little high to me, but I dont know much about the mods, or the shape of it, but I sold my 98 Summit X 2 years ago for 1700 CDN with 2800 miles.

1996 was the year that the first stock 670 made it over Jackson. Rider was Mark Thompson.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
I picked this one up around xmas time last year for 1300 felt it was a good deal. I think there great little sleds a little lacking on track but that can be easily overcome. The only time we had problems with it is when it was tipped on its side took forever to get started.

summit670done004-1.jpg

Not too highjack...but whatever happened to your buddy and the sled his wife bought him?

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Hey doo guys I was wondering how well a 1997 skidoo summit 670 would run, be, etc. I am considering buying a new sled for this winter, I now ride a polaris never bought or owned a ski doo before. The one I am looking at has domed heads, slp pipes, simmons flex skis, 144-16-2 track. The guy wants 1400 for it and the sled has 4700 miles. What do you guys think, is it a good deal, any problems with those machines, and what is the chassis called for that year?

Thanks

All these sleds had domed heads. HO models and X models are different (smaller combustion chamber, more compression). Did you mean it has an aftermarket head? The 1998 X's had head gasket issues.

Chassis is called an S-2000 chassis. Model before was the F-2000 (mainly 1995 and older) and the next model was the ZX (after 2000 mainly). The CK3 was in there as well but only for the Mach Z, Mach 1 and Formula 3's.

Parts are pretty good to get, talk him down to $1200 or less and its a decent buy so long as it is in good shape.

NSC

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
Not too highjack...but whatever happened to your buddy and the sled his wife bought him?

Well once he got over the fact that he didn't need the biggest baddest sled on the hill he rode it and started having fun. we took him to McCall Idaho for 3 days and showed him the sleds abilities. He just had to learn the rider makes the sled not the other way around. He got to the top of some of those hills he decided he didn't want to be there lol :D so it turned out good and all is back to normal.

Premium Features