• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1985 Polaris Star 250 Engine Question

B
Nov 26, 2007
North Vancouver
I have a 1985 Polaris that might need a head gasket. Its the air-cooled 244cc, and there is some black oil/gas mixture on the cylinder head. Engine runs ok, but may have overheated, pulling a tracker for X-C Skiers.

Any help is appreciated, don't want to cart it 45 miles to service shop.

Thanks,

BD

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
Sometimes on the lower power older sleds my recollection is this is pretty normal, it might be worth pulling the jugs off and cleaning the rings (you had to do that back then. they get stuck in the piston ring slots and can wear the cylinders oddly. especially if the accumulation is on the head.

good luck! its sad that alot of the riders nowdays never got to experience sleds like yours!

B
Nov 26, 2007
North Vancouver
Yeah, it's a fun little sled. My 8 yr old rode it for the first time. Soloed on it. and rode about 14 kms on his own.

Apparently, the previous owner and his wife used to ride 2 up on it!

I want to get the low windshield for it,so he can see, and a factory tach, as well as a gasket set.

Super light, and easy to move when stuck! Which, in 12 inches of powder, is quite often.

He sure has a ball on it, though.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Pretty common on those. I would clean it up and re-torque the head bolts. Run it and keep an eye on it. If it keeps leaking, then change the head gasket on it. Good ol' motors. Pretty hard to hurt them.

B
Nov 26, 2007
North Vancouver
Does anyone know what the torque specs are on it?

I am guessing the last person used "torque to yield" because one of the shroud cover bolts is stripped!

I'll spray some cleaner on it, and some carbon cleaner in the engine.
Monitor the build up after I torque the bolts. Pick up a gasket kit in the mean time, just in case...

Premium Features