• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

174 2.5 camo extreme track in a 2011 HCR

F
Aug 21, 2012
Minot, ND
Has anyone put a 174x15 2.5 camoplast extreme track on a stock 2010-2011 m8 or hcr. Was thinking about putting the track on my 2011 HCR. I have trenching and flotation issues. I will at least be putting a 162 on as i am 6'2'' 300 lbs and need some more flotation. just wondering if anyone has put the track on and if the stock motor will handle it.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Oh, I get it.........when you said flotation issues I looked to see where you were from.....saw North Dakota and thought you may be trying to skip the Red River or something of the sort. :face-icon-small-ton

I have not done this myself but have read about some guys doing it to M1000's and loving it!

F
Aug 21, 2012
Minot, ND
Nope not the river i mainly ride in west yellowstone and cooke city. The sled has lots of power and not anywhere near enough track right now just wonder if anyone has done it on any m series and what mods they have done to the engine.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
With your size, I would install the track, re-clutch a bit and ride it. The M8 will turn it but, you won't have 70mph track speed of course. But, you can't expect that either. If you have the $$ you may consider gearing down to 55/65 or a touch lower even.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Cutlers would steer you right on clutching and some adjustable weights. SLP is also a good source. If you are not savvy in the clutch department, call someone like Cutler or SLP and discuss with them your sled, riding style and your weight. It will be time well spent and you get the best bang for your buck.

Or search on this forum for clutching solutions for the bigger riders. There will be ton of info. You are not the only 250lb+ rider ya know. :face-icon-small-win

Remember, always talk in terms of fully-dressed-rider weight..........not "out of the shower" weight.

:rockon:

Reactions: backcountryislife
K

kllongbrake

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 29, 2009
Remember, always talk in terms of fully-dressed-rider weight..........not "out of the shower" weight.

:rockon:
Good point! I'm 265 naked but I swear when I stuff my backpack, helmet, boots, bibs, coat etc. into the ol' gear bag it has to weigh 50-60lbs at least. Never really thought to add that into the equation. Damn scale only goes to 300 though... guess I could always use the truck scale down by the shop. Wouldn't that be a site. A sledder all dressed for battle standing on a semi scale. =)

F
Aug 21, 2012
Minot, ND
Has anyone used the 174 track with the 162 tunnel extension. Just wondering if the track sticks out aways from the 162 tunnel. Has anyone heard of a carbon fiber rear tunnel extension for the 09-11 m series I have seen them for the proclimbs but not for the m series.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Last I knew Patrick Custom Carbon out of Indy was seeing if there was enough interest for them to put the M-series carbon tunnel extensions into production. Don't know the outcome. I'd contact them and ask.

http://patrickcustomcarbon.com/

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
I know what you are talking about. What a trenching POS with rider weight. I was going to do the same thing you are looking at but went a different direction.
Clutching: I went with the MDS weights. Main reason was that I could get my money back if it didn't work. I have had them for two years and love them. They pull hard from the start (low RPM's) rather than the bounce you get between the primary and secondary with stock. The back shift is awesome. They are the only money back part I've seen.
Suspension: A boy at your weight should have a coupled suspension. This will get you on top of the snow. I went with the KMOD because of the reputation of Kevin, the owner. I also dumped the Fox shocks and went with Raptors. I had the opportunity to ride Raptors prior and that sold me. Jake at Raptor knows his stuff. I think you should call both of these guys and talk to them. Loaded up I am 300 pounds and ride a 153. My first few months on the stock 2011LTD really sucked. Polaris and CMX sleds stomped the Cat in all snow conditions. With the above additions Cat can run with them. Well, the CMX turbo is in its own league and I don't have the guts to follow.
With these two additions it changed the way the sled handled and preformed. I live a few hours from Cooke and ride it often. The suspension should have your first attention and the clutch should be next. IMO
Good Luck

F
Aug 21, 2012
Minot, ND
I have a RKT secondary clutch kit on order. i found that the cutler clutch that was on the sled when i bought it was for a diamond drive with mechanical reverse and does not allow my reverse to operate correct. I was thinking that if i change to a longer track that i might go to an aftermarket rear skid not sure right now open for suggestions.

Premium Features