• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17 800 Hard Start and Stalls In Reverse

RX-1 Liter

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2010
Chautauqua County, NY
I need help with my 2017 800 RMK. Last spring on the last ride it started to flutter from 6,000 - 7,200 rpms but would reach 8,500 at full throttle. I shut it off and changed plugs. Tried to restart and it would not fire after 50 pulls. Tried partial throttle and full throttle. Got it home and it fired after 7 pulls. Rode it around field and it seemed ok until I put it in reverse and it stalled. After 20 pulls it would not start so towed it back. Over the summer, between myself and the dealer, I changed reeds, swapped ecu and voltage regulator with another 17 RMK, set TPS to spec, synchronized throttle bodies, compression is good, changed relays and capacitors, and swapped out fuel tank to rule out fuel pump. After all this it will start after 7 pulls when cold but will stall going in reverse. When warm, it will start with 1-2 pulls but still die in reverse. When the dealer has the digital wrench plugged in it will start right up and go into reverse. The dealer is stumped and it is slow hearing from Polaris. It has to be electrical since it seems fine when being powered by the digital wrench. Previous to this happening it ran flawless and started with two pulls for 3 years and 1,500 miles. Any thoughts on where to look next? Thank you.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
The Promised Land……..
I need help with my 2017 800 RMK. Last spring on the last ride it started to flutter from 6,000 - 7,200 rpms but would reach 8,500 at full throttle. I shut it off and changed plugs. Tried to restart and it would not fire after 50 pulls. Tried partial throttle and full throttle. Got it home and it fired after 7 pulls. Rode it around field and it seemed ok until I put it in reverse and it stalled. After 20 pulls it would not start so towed it back. Over the summer, between myself and the dealer, I changed reeds, swapped ecu and voltage regulator with another 17 RMK, set TPS to spec, synchronized throttle bodies, compression is good, changed relays and capacitors, and swapped out fuel tank to rule out fuel pump. After all this it will start after 7 pulls when cold but will stall going in reverse. When warm, it will start with 1-2 pulls but still die in reverse. When the dealer has the digital wrench plugged in it will start right up and go into reverse. The dealer is stumped and it is slow hearing from Polaris. It has to be electrical since it seems fine when being powered by the digital wrench. Previous to this happening it ran flawless and started with two pulls for 3 years and 1,500 miles. Any thoughts on where to look next? Thank you.

It could have a dead spot in the tps.

Otherwise.......
Totally could be a melted stator plug or broken wire in the wiring harness........

Premium Features