• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

12 Proclimb 800, taking the motor apart

Questions for the Cat Guys: i have a 2012 proclimb 800 with about 1600miles on it, and on Saturday i went riding for the third time this season. After about only 1/4 mile up the trail the sled just died on me. i towed it back to the truck and over the weekend took it apart to find the mag side cylinder is bad. Now i am usually good about warming up it up before ripping up the trail but this day i cant honestly say if i let it warm up for very long or not. So that could why. but if it is not that issue then i am worried it wasn't getting oil. So as i am putting this back together is there a way to make sure i am getting oil to the pistons before its completely all back together. Also, i will need to either hone and re-nikasil this cylinder or buy a new one... if i do hone and re nikasil it will the cylinder now be oversized? meaning i will need and oversized piston? if one cylinder is oversized does the other need to match it? The other cylinder looks good, if im doing a top end rebuilt kit(piston, rings, gaskets, and seals) do i need to do anything to the good cylinder before re install? Thanks for all the help, first time have a motor apart and want to make sure i do it right the first time.

Doing the oil pump delete and premixing is the only way to guarantee your engine is getting oil, OIL INJECTION SUCKS. Need pics of the cylinder to really determine anything else but if it seized my guess is yes that cylinder will have to be redone or replaced.

If you send the cylinder in to have it re-plated it will come back OEM size unless you tell them otherwise. I usually hone my plated cylinders when a piston goes in them, but the thought process is starting to change on that a little. Some say since the nikasil is naturally porous and therefore doesn't need the heavy cross hatch finish to hold oil. Make sure that whatever you do you find the root cause before it goes back together. We won't be able to help much with that without photos of the damage.

Send it out and get some new Nikasil on it. It will come back OEM size and a stock piston will get put back in. The last set of cylinders I got had new Nik. and were already crosshatched ready for installation.

Throw a picture of the piston up so we can see what it looks like. Usually if the sled wasn't warmed up enough and the piston expanded faster than the cylinder, its pretty obvious to see the piston get squeezed.

Premium Features

Back