• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 xp summit 800 X clutch problems

I have an 09 x model 146 summit and the clutches do not seem to disengage when i come to stop they will idle back to 4000 rpm and get stuck there i have to hit the throttle to get them to release down to the 2200 rpm range. also threads showing on belt (under 200 miles), and on the first ride after sitting for awhile the clutches don't seem to get up to speed until its been going for like 5 minutes or so. Any ideas on the cause of this. Its at the dealership now but with the conversation i had with them, they seem to have a hard time believing me there is anything wrong. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s it will still pull up to 8200 rpm and this is all northern sask riding not mountains going in a couple weeks want to make sure its going to work right

i had the same problem. let off the throttle an it kept going about 10 mph. dealer said that the arms are sticking maybe do to shipping oil.

i would take it back to your dealer and have him ck the clutches, if they didnt clean them initially they need to ---our dealer cleans every clutch before the sled is delivered----:D

As W-T/A says it could be the oil.....
but they are replacing the spring cap and the other bushing in there too as tolerance is slightly out leaving them too tight - thus not disengaging.
Also have them utilize service bulletin 2009-12 dated 12-22-08 to ensure your clutches are within alignment tolerance limits if you are pulling cords out.

Just took my 09' XP 146 in for 10 hr service and I had the same problem. Dealer said clutches were sticking and needed cleaning. I haven't been on the snow since the service but I hope the cleaning helped. 180 miles on the first belt and still looks ok. I hope they checked the allignment when the sled was there, I haven't heard of the clutch bulletin.

sticking clutches

have an 05 that would not disengage at idle and would keep rolling forward.
dealer finally figured out that the governor cup was out of spec. it was either heavier than it should have been or slightly bigger (maybe it was both).
none of the idle problems though. Hope that helps.

Clutch sticks

Not that this applies to the 09. Had that problem on an 03 arms would stick there until clutch warmed up with some belt use there were brass bushings inside and no tolerance for Al clutch to shrink. In shop at room temp but was fine however would hung up as outside temps were much lower and Alum Clutch had shrunk in size. And brass and Alum shrink differantly.

if you are haveing clutch problems on your 09 xp go to your dealer ski doo has just sent out an update on the 09 and replaceing clutch sheave bushings due to improper tolerences causing the clutch to stick open and hang up just to add I am a tech at a doo dealer any ?? I will be glad to help out just shoot me a pm and I can do my best to get answers

Tighter tolerance spring cup bushing in the primary this year. It might stick a bit until it gets worn in.

Premium Features

Back