• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

09 Polaris Dragon 800 help!!!

B
Feb 14, 2012
I am having issues with the check engine light coming on around 6000rpm and above. If I take my thumb off the throttle quick enough the light will go off. If I dont and keep increasing it will start constantly flashing. Sometimes it will bog down too.
Took it to the dealer in Glenwood Springs. They took off a power commander that I was unaware it had on it. Did all the re-flash took it back to stock and said they test rode it and couldn't get any det code to come up. It does have an SLP pipe and can on it. Well after them having it on two occasions I can ride it for a short time and the problem is the same as when i dropped it off the first time. The manager of service just threw his hands in the air and gave up. WTF, aren't they supposed to be the experts???
Can anyone help me out with this.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
09 800

Maybe TPS is not adjusted correctly. The Digital Wrench should check that. If it's out of adjustment, the ECU will lean it out and it will detonate. Double check and see if they checked that.

Last edited:
G
Jan 29, 2011
kalispell, mt
09 dragon 800 bogging down

I am having the same problem with the 6250 to 6750 rpm range on my 09 dragon 800 as well. I did a leak down test and found the cylinder on the magneto side is 74 over 90lbs. There is some hairline scratches on the piston too. Not sure if this is the reason for the bogging down, but i know it is not good. Could someone tell me what the "FIX KIT" is?

welll id have to say that your engin is starting to melt a piston down. on saturday i was riding having the same issues that you are having an we did a leak down on my sled an PTO side has a 100% leakage an now its gana caughst 1500$ to fix it. if you catch it before it goes it migh be cheaper

THE FIX...i hope
the polaris dealer, kurts polaris in seeley lake montana is gana take my cylander an 2011 pro rmk pistons an send them away to get fitted an nicosealed, they said that the 2011 piston is a much tighter fix an that is the motor they are having least problems with! in 2012 they switched the pistons an are having more problems.

W
Sep 15, 2008
Spokane, Wa
count the number of flashes, a certain number of flashes in a row mean different things. For example, five flashes in a row means your egt sensor is bad. Youll have to look up the other ones because thats the only one I can think of off the top of my head. This year I broke the throttle line that controls the oil pump So i was getting wide open oil all the time, the engine thought it was a bad temp sensor so thats the only reason I know about that one. Fixed the oil line and the check engine light quit flashing.

G
Jan 29, 2011
kalispell, mt
dang it, i was hoping to make this season on this motor...snow isn't the greatest this year anyway. I have heard about the pro piston idea, must be a kurts thing. Does anyone know anybody who has done this to there dragon?

B
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for your help everyone. The flash is constant. No 5 flash sequence or anything like that.
Taking it to Moto Breck tomorrow. Those guys are highly recommended around here. I am sure they wont just throw their hands in the air and say the jobs to hard for them like the Glenwood Springs guys did.
I also heard of a guy with a similar problem to mine. Turns out he had a crack in the Y pipe.

B
Feb 14, 2012
So I may be looking at a new engine or a rebuild?? Can anyone give me some advice on this? What is the warranty on the top end recall? I have only got 500 miles on that update.
Waiting for the call from moto breck to get the good/bad news!

D
Feb 20, 2012
Having same problem with my 09 RMK 800 will run fine for awhile then when I give it throttle it bogs down and check engine light starts flashing, hit the kill switch restart and will run fine for awhile, dealer replaced the ECU and fuel filter, code was showing detonation, took it back to the mountain and same problem, I think they are a little stumped now. Any help would be great, Burleigh would love to hear back from you when you get it back from the dealer.

B
Feb 14, 2012
Moto Breck solved the problem. Motor is fine. The Det Sensor was done up too tightly so it was going to limp mode due to too much engine vibration.

An easy fix and would have been done had Glenwood Mountain Powersports checked it the first time they had it. A horrible experience to have an issue like this nearly all winter and the shop not doing their job. Lazy mechanics, if you could call them that. Plugging in the computer doesnt always fix a problem.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support.

sled ran goood no problems! lots more power! i got lucky a part of my sleav on the cylinder allmost broke of an would of cost more than what i had to pay 1500$

be careful out there we had 2 guys in a avalanche today. got um out alive tho

be safe

Premium Features