• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 Xp Summit Running like a dog 1st ride this year

:confused:Little background on the sled. Sled, motor wise is bone stock no mods
only add on is an hps can. Like to say that I might not of treated the fuel in the off season. Ok now when i tried to start it is when i noticed early issues like hard to start. Oh and my fuel gauge is not working now either. Many pulls to start sled, very unsual for this sled.. It didn't seem like it wanted to warm up and idle without having the choke 1/2 on. I basically had to run with the choke 1/2 on the entire ride or the machine would just dog out and almost want to die. Any help much appreciated.

Drain the gas and clean the carbs. also depending on where you store it I have seen nests built in the pipe and can and in the air box. Sounds like dirty carbs though.

It was in the mid 20's I pretty sure I got the beast to warm up, It just didn't want to run without the choke on. I mean it totally would lose power and feel lean when I did. It just would sputter and die without choke on I mean I could feather the throttle to keep it running but otherwise it would stumble and die.

I usually fog the cylinders and add gas additive for the summer, come wintertime fire it up with the same plugs and burn off fogging, then change to new plugs. It sounds like this wasn't done resulting in bad gas and gummed up carbs (jets) like stated above,you need to drain carbs,clean and add new gas, don't forget new sparkplugs. Good luck

I had the same thing happen to me last year, put new plugs in it and no problems.

Fuel stabilizer is a must in the spring before you summerize machine, if this was not done carbs are probably gummed up and fuel in tank is nasty need to clean as described above. So much easier to add sta-bil in the summer than to tear carbs out and clean especially in the xp's the carbs are buried.

sounds like it could be bad gas and dirty carbs. but check the little red switch
if its on or not that switch is the carb warmers for cold temps. it can make the sled run like a dog. but as stated above drain and clean.

if it's only running with the choke on that's correct the jets are plugged, when you choke it it runs the fuel through the pilot jets, it usually means the main jets are plugged, so like everyone else said drain the gas and clean the carbs. make sure you take the jets out and blow them out sometimes you wont get all the junk out of the jets if you don't take them out.

Thanks, for the help guys I appreciate a whole hell of a lot. Taking the sled to shop for Carb cleaning, and new plugs.
Anybody have a link to showing how to get at the carbs? what needs to removed and such.

If your not to mechanical or your too cheap (like me) to pay a mechanic to do the carbs. Try a can of SeaFoam in fresh gas, works wonders for cleaning. Run it like you stole it.

doggy first ride??

Change your spark plugs and go ride. Most likely the old gas messed them up.
Cheers!

SKIP :beer;

Premium Features

Back