• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 700 Fusion - dead - is it stator?

B
Jan 25, 2016
Trip to UP over weeekend. 200 miles first day, no issues except handlebar warmers not as warm as could be.

Day 2 about 50 miles in, sled loses power and died, sat for a bit, switched plugs, and fired up. About another 100 miles or so, same issue, changed plugs and worked, happened twice again, checked plugs and they did not appear fouled, both looked same. Intervals got shorter and finally last time the plug switch did NOT work. Towed sled, came back couple hours later, tried to start and still no dice.

Yesterday I pulled chassis relay and sled started without it, put chassis relay back in and it ran. Voltage gauge on dash wash full too, and son commented how handlebar warmers felt much warmer even for that little bit of idling. Pulled off trailer, took for a quick rip and died again, towed home. Bought new chassis relay and still does not help.

Couple years ago I installed new fuel filter and chassis relay.

Seems like a lot of what I am reading points to stator. Here is the service manual I have for the stator, is this correct?

If I check these and they are within 10%, could it still be bad?

Any other thoughts to try and check?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Trip to UP over weeekend. 200 miles first day, no issues except handlebar warmers not as warm as could be.

Day 2 about 50 miles in, sled loses power and died, sat for a bit, switched plugs, and fired up. About another 100 miles or so, same issue, changed plugs and worked, happened twice again, checked plugs and they did not appear fouled, both looked same. Intervals got shorter and finally last time the plug switch did NOT work. Towed sled, came back couple hours later, tried to start and still no dice.

Yesterday I pulled chassis relay and sled started without it, put chassis relay back in and it ran. Voltage gauge on dash wash full too, and son commented how handlebar warmers felt much warmer even for that little bit of idling. Pulled off trailer, took for a quick rip and died again, towed home. Bought new chassis relay and still does not help.

Couple years ago I installed new fuel filter and chassis relay.

Seems like a lot of what I am reading points to stator. Here is the service manual I have for the stator, is this correct?

If I check these and they are within 10%, could it still be bad?

Any other thoughts to try and check?

It could still be a bad stator even though it checks out good. I'm thinking because it is intermittent you might just happen to check it when it is fully functional. Give the wiring harness a real close check for wires that have chafed through and grounding out on a chassis point somewhere.

Premium Features