• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 Summit X 800 H.O. BLOWN..Now What

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
picked up an '05 summit x 800 HO 144" a couple months ago, took it to get a new recoil as it was broke when I bought it and just tune it up.
-turns out shes blown, crank seals gone and top end.

--so, where do I go from here? should I rebuild it to stock bore or since its torn down do maybe a 827 BB? or throw a crate motor in it? whats my best bang for the $$??
any help would be awesome thanks!

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
Blown Motor

I had my crank go out a couple years ago. I ended up going with a crate motor. It cost me about $300 more then the rebuild but I got a one year warranty and no worries with the motor. Motor is still running strong and I do not regret spending the extra cash.

C
Nov 18, 2013
Plains MT
Crate Motor

I think mine cost about $1600 but that was a couple of years ago. I got min from my Ski-Doo dealer. Any Ski-Doo dealer should be able to get you one. A Buddy of mine ordered one from Rexford motorsports ad said they made him a good deal.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Blown Motor

That is not a hard machine to R & R the engine. Crate motor or Trygstad/BJ rebuild is very practical and cost effective as long as the cases are good. Expensive part comes when they BLOW UP and the parts come through the case. Now add $600 to $1000. If all you need is motor and the rest of the 2005 sled is in good shape you are in a good to ride!

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
WOW :face-icon-small-con

called the shop it was at. they told me good news that engine had a problem with plating coming off the rings? and it lost compression so they put new rings and gaskets on and its good to go!
-should I be worried?

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Yup, I'd be worried.

WOW :face-icon-small-con

called the shop it was at. they told me good news that engine had a problem with plating coming off the rings? and it lost compression so they put new rings and gaskets on and its good to go!
-should I be worried?

So, it was blown/crank seals gone and top end - and now it just needed new rings??

Iowa__Freeriders

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2010
NW Iowa
Yes there's a mix up, the blown crank seals and top end was assumed by the mechanic, not a fact it was just a hunch and I like to plan for the worst!
Glad I did because I'm more than happy with the outcome:face-icon-small-coo

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello, I have a complete 05 800ho top end , great nikasil cylinders, MCB pistons with only 130miles when I purchased this top end and I purchased new MCB Rings and Circlips and 7hole base gasket. all is ready to bolt on just add your rave valves and head and you would be set, I might have a head off a different engine that had light pitting it came off my ole engine that lost a crank and set small pieces pitted the head if your interested in that, also. I have Rave if you need them just No guilitines.

I purchased this topend for the same price and was going to add it to a new bottom end that was supposed to be warranteed to me, I received Nothing and have this topend left over after purchasing a Brand New Engine from Skidoo..

Askin $550 for the topend

My New Engine cost me $1800 Cause I had a lot of non repairable core charges added, bummer. New Engine runs great

Wildcard

Last edited:
Premium Features