• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 Mountain Cat 900 Chaincase Cover?

S
Mar 1, 2010
SLC, UT
Hey guys,
I have an 03 Mountain Cat 900 i was wondering if anyone has any advise on a mod or upgrade to the stock aluminum chain case cover i seem to catch mine on my trailer when im loading it sometimes and i always just kinda screw it back on but its getting pretty beaten up and i was wondering if anyone has any advise on this??
thanks for you help...
P.S. also my chain case leaks pretty good, is there a gasket in there or can i use gasket sealant? i cant see any cracks or anything but just drips from the bottom of the case whenever it sits... again any ideas for advice would be appreciated.

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
How are you catching youir chain case on the trailer? Don't you have a belly pan/bash plate/skid plate under there? If you don't get one. Chain case halves sholul be sealed with a long o-ring. Might have a break in the o-ring. Are you sure it's leaking from the bottom of the case and not leaking up higher and ruunning down the chain case to the bottom?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
the 04-05-06 1Ms came with a guard on the chaincase. I am sure you can just buy that one and put it on. I know what you are saying, I had the same issue with my 04 unless I wheeled onto the trailer. As for the seal, it is a o-ring in the groove, maybe its gone or broke. Or like said above maybe its the powervalve drain that you are seeing a puddle from. My buddies that run amsoil leave black puddles of goo everywhere they park their 900s. Mine running red line has never left more than one drip here and there.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC Canada
Early build

The early built 03s had any aluminum chain case guard instead of plastic. I would put a thin plastic cover over it so it slides instead of grabing on your deck. As for the leak I would check the o ring under the cover or the one in inside the bearing on the drive shaft.

Premium Features