• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 Escape- brakes spongy after a climb

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
I noticed over the holidays that after making a good pull up the hill with the flipper pinned, if I'd hit the brakes right after a climb they would be real spongy at first and not work very well, if at all. But if I just pumped the lever 1-2 times they'd come right back and work fine until the next pull. Is this normal?

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
how is the fluid level in your master cylinder? if its low its possible that the port in the bottom of the master is getting uncovered by fluid causing air to get in the system.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
how is the fluid level in your master cylinder? if its low its possible that the port in the bottom of the master is getting uncovered by fluid causing air to get in the system.
I'll have to check again, but IIRC its fine. Its just funny to me that they come right back and work fine by pumping the lever, seems like if the fluid was boiling for some reason or there was air in the line they wouldn't work worth a crap all the time.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
most likely, but after a while the air will float to the top. i would bleed and flush the system. if that doesnt work, something could be spreading the caliper open, say if a bearing was bad or something where under very high load it allows the shaft to move and the rotor not being in straight? i dunno an idea

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
brake

Open up the brake resevior and look down inside. Hopefully you can see through the fluid. There are 2 holes in the cylinder that the piston moves in. one charges the cylinder and the other lets excess escape. I have seen one of them plugged that can cause what you have seen. BE CAREFUL when you squeeze the lever, it will squirt you in the eye. There may be a rubber disc on top of the holes that you can pick out carefully with a small screwdriver.

Set the park brake overnight and it will force the air to the top too.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Newport, WA
Open up the brake resevior and look down inside. Hopefully you can see through the fluid. There are 2 holes in the cylinder that the piston moves in. one charges the cylinder and the other lets excess escape. I have seen one of them plugged that can cause what you have seen. BE CAREFUL when you squeeze the lever, it will squirt you in the eye. There may be a rubber disc on top of the holes that you can pick out carefully with a small screwdriver.

Set the park brake overnight and it will force the air to the top too.

Speaking from experience? :D Thanks for the info, maybe I can get some garage time this week and take a look at it.

D
Sep 14, 2006
On the toilet
It needs bled. The air will only come out if its only in the line, if its in the caliper it needs to be bled out. Good idea to bleed and flush it anyway, they suck up a lot of moisture and the fluid gets pretty nasty after about 2 seasons.

Premium Features