• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

02 summit starter trouble

I am having some trouble with my 2002 summit 800 starter. The other day out on a ride i went to pullover my sled and the cord pulled out freely without any resistance and without catching the crank like it should. The cord pulled itself back in quickly like usual though. So i had to start my sled with a rope around the clutch, however by the time i got back to the garage, I tried the cord again and it grabed like it is suppose to first try.
Anybody know of what may be causing this?? I took the recoil starter off and looked at it, all the parts inside seem fine and I could see that it was catching fine when i hauled the cord. However I want to know what may have caused the problem before it happens again.
Thanks in advance for any help!

There is an O-ring on the stem that provided the resistance to pull the pawl into the cage. (engage the pawl)

It seems that your o-ring may be either well worn, or overly lubed. Also - too much heavy grease on the pawl in cold weather will also hinder movement.

Either way - it's just not getting enough friction on the stem to engage the pawl.

You could take apart and clean up the grease and replace the o-ring.

To take apart - I would highly reccomend that you cut the star washer/retainer as opposed to trying to remove it. Useing a dremel tool would be the best method I would think. You will likely doo a lot of damage to the plastic stem/housing by trying to remove the retainer intact.

Likely have to get a new retainer from Doo dealer.

Also a possability that the pawl is simply worn out on the edge that it catches the cage. I have seen pics of that as well before. However I would think that you would feel it trying to catch if that was the case. Also - if that was the case, I wouldn't expect it to self heel as your apparently did.

Still seems like a heavy grease, worn o-ring issue to me.

Last edited:
Premium Features

Back