• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Quickdrive belt replacement with E-start?

Rbott

Lifetime Membership
Sep 11, 2012
Vermont
I know the majority of you do not have electric start but somebody on here must have it!

I have ridden an SKS 155 for the last couple seasons and just got a Pro RMK 850. First sled with belt drive. Can the Quickdrive belt be replaced with the battery and battery box in place or do they have to be removed?

Do the Quickdrive belts fail often?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I have always run the ES on the pro and Axys with the QD system..
The TKI upgrade makes changing gearing a bit easier and gives you a belt deflection guide a better set of toothed gears and better belt but... The battery and the battery box are in the way- to slide the belt off, and need to be removed, on all ES sleds with the QD- no way around it!!

I have been very hard, and have had younger clients harder than I on these belts and they do take a lickin'.....

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I don't have e-start, but my wife won't ride without it. So...

It makes working on the belt drive a giant PITA that doesn't even exist without it.

There are two things that you can do that will make your life considerably easier.

1) While you're in a nice warm garage with all your tools handy, remove the battery box and the thing it attaches to that will also be in the way of the lower pulley. Make the holes into slots so you don't need to fully remove the bolts that are hard to reach to remove the assembly.

2) While you're there...those bolts that are hard to reach use 7mm heads. Who has a 7mm socket in their backcountry kit? No one. Most people won't even have one in their shop. Replace them with something else. I had some KTM bolts on hand that worked perfectly.

Attachments

• battery1.jpg
    battery1.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 62
  • battery2.jpg
    battery2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 64

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
I surly do carry the 7mm and a lot of other odd tools.
When someone breaks a lower drive bolt or in the rare case the QD belt- got to have to get back going again.
Why would not a person carry what is required to fix- but then again, I have McGivered a few to get back home.
Knowing what tools you may need has a lot to do with prep before the season.

You are correct on all counts, those bolts happen to be the ONLY 7mm fasteners on the sled though and it's not something you want to learn in the woods.

Premium Features