• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 850 with electric start will not cold start using electric start

Post number 15 has been selected as best answered.

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
My new 2021 850 Switchback Assault will not cold start using electric start. It starts 2nd or third pull on rope start cold. Electric start spins motor fast but no start cold. Instant start with electric start after sled has been run. Ideas?

I have tried both methods. Snow has melted again so will have to wait for snow again. I am hoping the problem will go away after break in is complete. It pops right off after it has been run.

I know exactly what he is talking about because it happens all the time to my 18 Assault. The starter spins but the bendix does not engage the teeth in the clutch. It only happens when it is cold. When the sled is in the garage or the engine is warm, it works perfectly. Seems like the bendix sticks when it is cold and does not move out to engage the ring gear. Not sure if a bit of wd 40 would fix it to free it up but I am going to try it myself.

I know exactly what he is talking about because it happens all the time to my 18 Assault. The starter spins but the bendix does not engage the teeth in the clutch. It only happens when it is cold. When the sled is in the garage or the engine is warm, it works perfectly. Seems like the bendix sticks when it is cold and does not move out to engage the ring gear. Not sure if a bit of wd 40 would fix it to free it up but I am going to try it myself.

Easy fix. Bendix is sticking. Push and twist it out, spray the shaft down with WD-40 or similar. Any lube that is on the shaft now is either dried up, or non-existent. Do NOT put oil or grease on it. As it will stick when it gets cold, kust like if no lube at all.

My new 2021 850 Switchback Assault will not cold start using electric start. It starts 2nd or third pull on rope start cold. Electric start spins motor fast but no start cold. Instant start with electric start after sled has been run. Ideas?

Possible idea - Back when Cat first introduced EFI - I remember that after the first pull, you could hear the fuel pump building up fuel pressure and then shut off. If you wait until the pump stops for the second pull, the engine started immediately. I have had a number of Polaris sleds with e-start and while it never hear that (sound of the pump), it sure feels the same. When cold, my '15 SBA starts with a lot fewer turns of the crank when pulling the rope compared to using the e-start. When warm, it starts immediately with either rope or e-start - and I suspect that's because the system is already pressurized. Overall, this tells me that any EFI needs to be given a chance to pressurize the fuel system. And the motor won't start until that pressure is built up. Using the e-start is a continuous turn of the motor - never a break to give it time to pressurize [while I catch my breath], so it just keeps turning/cranking until eventually the pressure is there to fire the injectors properly. In your case where it doesn't start at all, try cranking for 3 seconds. Stop, let it sit for 5 sec and try again. Does is start right away ? As I think about this, I'm going to try it on mine, too. It will confirm/deny my idea right away. Overall, I think this is the nature of e-start on an EFI system and will continue to be that way until there is a way to keep the fuel pressure from leaking down when not running.

Thanks for all the input. It seems that I will need to try short bursts along with a short pause between. It makes sense because when it does attempt to start with the e-start cold ,it fails with a lean die out.

I've noticed my 2021 Khaos 850 does the exact same thing. When it's a dead cold engine, the electric start engages and turns over the engine rapidly but it just doesn't start. It takes a few long engagements to get it going. Once it does, it starts up almost instantly after. I've had several Polaris ES sleds over the past 8 years...a 2018 RMK Pro 800, 2016 SKS 800, 2013 Switchback Assault 800 and a 2012 Switchback Pro-R 600. All of them started very quickly, even when ice cold. I'm not going to lie...this bothers me a bit. I'm going to call my dealer's service today and see what they say about it.

I am hoping that new flash for 2021 is just a little lean in the break-in mode to address the plug issues during break-in last year, and it will go away after full break-in is complete

Now the fuel mapping is too lean on start up? [emoji2359]

It was way to rich on the 2020. We changed to BPR8ES spark plugs and it works perfect now with original mapping.

Also the VES extreme oil smokes so bad we quit using it. Back to VES gold and all is well.

I have 1400 miles on now and this sled is the fastest sled I’ve ever ridden.

Last edited:
I always just barely cracked throttle on 16 and it would fire up. Otherwise it would do what you are talking

My 21 rmk does the same. I just tap the throttle a bit with a cold start and it fires right up.

Thanks to all for your responses. Turboless terry and Sierra G-Force have provided answers that appear to have solved my problem. It has gotten rather cold and I tried applying a little throttle on a cold engine electric start and I get a quick start. To be sure I again tried the electric start with no throttle and still no start on cold engine. However it starts just fine on rope pull without touching the throttle.

Thank you!

Premium Features

Back