• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Under Hood Heat!

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
So im a little frustrated right now. Earlier this season riding in deep powder it got so hot under the hood that it melted my oil sensor and cap along with hood insulation and pretty much burnt my belt. AC did warranty the sensor and cap but not the belt. Since they i haven't had much trouble until yesterday when it happened again. I know it's just the hood vents get plugged with snow and the heat has nowhere to go and i have side vents and i just ordered a guage cage and shock tower vent Monday. I guess i just don't see why we should have to spend so much money on aftermarket venting after purchasing a sled for 12,000 dollars!!!!

Does anyone have other ideas for venting or do you think the gauge cage will make all the difference?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
TC I did see that RKtech has a product out that you bolt on by the steering post that keeps the hood from closing all the way and allows heat to boil out. I think he want like $40 bucks for it.

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
yep

I have the amp gauge cage, 2 cool side vents, and slps in shock tower, both sides. I rode her hard today in 2 feet of fluff, about 25 degrees, and it was hot. The gauge cage is like a heat source when the heat pours out of there. Snow pretty much covers every vent except the gauge cage. I have pre-filter on every hole, and no snow gets in anywhere. Bdx intake next and then I'll vent the whole hood once all the plastic crap is gone from the stock intake.

C

Comp 670

Nov 26, 2007
Arlington, WA
The factorys would LOVE to vent the sleds more but cannot because of noise regulations they must meet.They are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

gdgrump

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
RKT hood lift

I've got Kelsey's Hood lift on my 06/m7, it really works. It's also a great place to dry your goggles with all of the heat rolling out.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
I am thinking about getting one, but have concerns about snow falling down on the clutches while the hood is propped. Any experiences with this good or bad?

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
I had the same problem on mine........

Irwin-CementCreek022509103.jpg

Irwin-CementCreek022509101.jpg

Irwin-CementCreek022509104.jpg

First thing I did was wrap the exhust with Header wrap including the y pipe........

VailandStElmo061.jpg

I also added a upper vent that alows heat to escape. I like the hood lift that RKT makes, I just thought this would provided beter venting, and keep snow out.

VailandStElmo066.jpg

VailandStElmo064.jpg

I am still waiting on my side vents to arrive. May add a shock tower vent on the clutch side too as a summer project.

Last edited:
S
Nov 27, 2008
Not ragging on you, but you shouldnt wrap your pipe up like that, it is designed to expel heat and contract the exhaust gases for scavenging. My 2 cents.

R
Aug 30, 2008
Rocky Mountians
Not ragging on you, but you shouldnt wrap your pipe up like that, it is designed to expel heat and contract the exhaust gases for scavenging. My 2 cents.

Then why does arctic cat put a insulated cover on it ? Why does SLP, Speedwerx, CPC and so on cerimic coat thier pipes and cans to keep the heat in.

Last edited:
S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
the new 08 m 1000 warrenty update. has the ECU reflash, extra intake vent on under the hood on the intake, the rubber gasket around the exhaust to keep snow out, and also a heat shield that protects the cap and oil jug now.... works good for me !!!! cheers

Premium Features