• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Two M7's go down within 1 mile of each other - looking for diagnostic help!

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
We were riding yesterday in the Columbine area of CO. My dad and brother have for all intents and purposes identical 06 M7's with 15:1 Rkt heads. They have run flawlessly for over a year with this setup. Coming back to the parking lot is a 5 mile road which had just been groomed the night previously. They both died like someone had hit the kill switch. Air temp was probably in the 40's. We pulled the plugs on my brothers and the mag side plug electrode was mostly missing - like it broke off right at the bend. His was also pucking coolant. We havn't pulled my dads yet. We always run 91 octane fuel. Elevation at Columbine is about 7500 -8000'. No check engine or temp ligts were lit prior to them stopping.

My initial thoughts are overheating due to lack of loose snow on the trail. That theory has some holes in is because both my dad and brother know enough to occasionally go off the trail into the loose snow.

Those who have had the spark plug electrode break off - is this metal likely to end up in the crankcase? Or is it more likely the gas flow would push it out the exhaust? There are some aluminum spots on the bottom of the plug from the electrode bouncing around in there.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I
Dec 6, 2007
Eagle, CO
It sounds like the electrode burnt off and the aluminum you see is from the piston burning up.I hope that this is not the case but if there is aluminum on the plugs things wont be pretty when when you pull the head.A compression check will give a good clue to why it wont run.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Both were filled up at the local Conoco which we have filled up at many times. Plus, the day was filled with many many full throttle, vents plugged climbs in fresh powder.

No intake or pipe mods - stock except for the heads

Going to pull the head on both this morning.

Btw, they both will start and idle normally.

P
Nov 26, 2007
I burnt my M7 down with a 15:1 head running on pump 91 at 8000'. Prior to I ran it this way for a couple of years. Only took one bad tank full of premieum to detonate a piston and score a cylinder.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Update:

Both sleds mag side pistons had the beginnings of a hole. Pto pistons are fine on both.

If the compression ratios are too high for our elevation, I am going to be a little pissed because I questioned the shop I bought them from twice about the 15:1 compression ratio. They told me they checked with RKT and was told that 15:1 is fine at our elevation.

I am having trouble with the poor fuel idea because one of the sleds took about 1.5 gallons to fill it up prior to us riding yesterday and the other was nearly empty.

heinracing

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
mina sd
were the spark plugs loose?

sounds like detonation to me that would take the electorde of the spark plug

rebuild the motor run 100 oct fuel with that compression

M

mtn_extreme

Nov 11, 2002
Nampa, Idaho
combination of running on the edge with that compression head and a warm day letting the motor heat up a little hotter. Couple gallons of race in each tank would help especially now that all stations have 10% ethanol this year.

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
Ran mine with a with high compression head with pump gas for a couple of trips and then wayllla one day nothing changing ping ping blown up! will mix a couple of gallons of race fuel with every tank.

KJP

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Got dads back together - new piston, rings, gaskets, bores cleaned up and stock head on. Runs good in the barn. Going to Leadville to ride tomorrow. Hopefully no more probs.

My instincts told me 15:1 was too high. Live and learn.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Did you get some oxygenated fuel? Or water in your fuel or something strange with the fuel? I would check that for sure.

E

Evolution Powersports

Nov 23, 2006
Like I said earlier, one of the sleds only took about a gallon and a half while the other was empty and took 10 gallons (approx.). It would mean we got bad gas from two different stations two different days. I suppose it is possible, but less likely. Plus it was at the end of the day going easy on the trail (because we were exausted) after a day of hard riding.

Premium Features