• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Tuning" the track

S
Dec 19, 2022
Lafayette CA
Hi all. Noob questions. ( I've only had one solid afternoon on a well set up Husky 450)

I have a new to me 2017 120 RAW kit attached to my 2013 KTM500. The stock shocks have no preload for the springs, so I cannot adjust the track attitude with them.

I searched old threads on here and saw my question asked a couple times but no answer as to tuning with only the fixed strut.

Currently the strut is set to the TS recommended length, and with a floor jack under the motor the track looks parallel to the ground. Is this a good starting point

Does LENGTHENING the strut raise the back of the track AND reduce ski pressure? Or do I have this wrong?

I'm planning to do a shakedown ride once it finally stops dumping in the Sierras, so it will likely be in deep pow once off trail.

I will spend time initially riding in my buddy's sled tracks, but I'm curious how to avoid trenching on climbs as far as my riding technique and adjustments/tuning go.

Premium Features