• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trimming inner nubs on non DD track?

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Should I trim the metal clips or just the rubber nubs and then bend the clips back?
I'm thinking it will be best to trim the clips as well so they won't get bent and eat into the DD case, but it may be hard to trim them flush, then they may eat into the sides of the hifax?
For anyone that has done one, what is your advice?
Thanks in advance!:beer;
KK

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
You need to trim both the rubber nubs and the metal clip. I just trim the metal with a cut off wheel and then use a nice sharp wood chisel and one motion, knocks the rubber guys right off.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Thanks for the imput.
Should have this thing installed tonight.
I'm curious to see how it compares to my camo.
Track is straightened and will be run in hillclimb position.
May swap it to powder position first of next year.
For a 100 bucks I figured its a no brainer to try it out.

PistonBroke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
trimming

are you guys trimming them right down flush with the track, or leaving some behind?

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
are you guys trimming them right down flush with the track, or leaving some behind?

You want to leave some clip and nub. About a 1/4" to 5/16". Sand or file/buff the sharp edge of the cut clip nice and smooth.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Yes, take the time to get the sharp edges off of the clips!
I didn't, and I have a 1/8" grrove in the side of my hyfax.
I trimmed my nubs dang near flush.
Wear a mask when grinding the metal clips... I didn't, and I had a 20 hour headache!

Quick, doesn't a DD lite use the same case?
It would be very expensive to replace the whole DD case.
Plus I like the idea of the DD lite gears with the reverse case for more oil capacity.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
^Not sure who your post is directed to^
I trimmed the nubs first, then the metal clips with a high speed grinder... Thats where the headache came from... Literally, a headache from the grind dust.
Not that the job was difficult or took a long time.
I was a honda/polaris/kawasaki/arctic cat tech for more than 7 years... No issues working on my own sled "lol"

M
Nov 26, 2007
billings, MT
Thanks for the imput.
Should have this thing installed tonight.
I'm curious to see how it compares to my camo.
Track is straightened and will be run in hillclimb position.
May swap it to powder position first of next year.
For a 100 bucks I figured its a no brainer to try it out.

you will love it... it hooks up good!!!:p:p

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
you will love it... it hooks up good!!!:p:p

Thanks again for the track!
I expected a little better performance in the pow... Haven't had a real good test in dry pow though, just heavy pow.
Like you said, it hooks up like no other if the snow can be penetrated... If it is too hard or icy, it skates.
And so far my impression is that it trenches too much in the pow although in the dry fluff I was in tuesday it seemed to work pretty good... Just wasn't real deep, only 8" to maybe a foot and a half. (153 M1000)
I think I will finish this year with it in the hillclimb position, then swap it to powder position this summer.
For the price I am 100% satisfied, but I think the cats meow for all conditions will be a powerclaw.

PistonBroke

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
my 0.02

"I think the cats meow for all conditions will be a powerclaw."

This is exactly why we got rid of the powerclaw! It's good in powder and climbing in powder, but terrible on hardpack, compact snow, and downright SCARY on a downhill.

I've read so many posts with guys switching getting different results with the same track to make much sense of it or develop a pattern. There's just way too much variability in snow conditions across north america, different sleds, different suspension setups! What works for one guy may give completely different results to the next.

Anyhoo, we slapped a 2.5 extreme on and we'll see how it goes. trimming went great, i'll make sure i have smooth edges all around before we run it. Thanks everyone for the help!

Pistonbroke

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
I am sure everyone has their opinions on which track they prefer.
I want a track that will perform good in the pow, every other condition I am not concerned about.
The A-20 we all know is an exceptional powder track.
The powerclaw seems to be close to as good in the pow and should be better than an A-20 in hardpack, so thats the track for me when I get the cash.
In hardpack its usually not an issue climbing... I can live with a little spinning and white knuckles on the descents.

Premium Features