• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Timing/Flywheel Keys. What do they do and where do they go???

i have a 2006 M7. it has a d&d y-pipe, speedwerx single pipe, and mbrp can. also has slp air horn intake kit. that is it for engine mods. i was wondering what these do and how hard they are to install. and if they actually do anything or if they are harmful to an engine. and advice would be very helpful. thanks.

B
Dec 8, 2008
Longmont, CO
I'm new at this, but I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, the timing key is placed on the crankshaft where the stator is located behind the flywheel. So after each rotation of the crankshaft the timing key, in connection with the stator, sends a current to the spark plug for one rotation, then the other plug after the next rotation and so on. This appears to be a very delicate procedure, so unless you really know what you are doing, I wouldn't mess with it.

Z

ZRman31

Sep 8, 2008
Negaunee, Mi
I have a 3 degree key in my 700 motor. Its very easy to do. All you do is pop the flywheel off and replace the stock flywheel key with the advanced key. I honestly can't tell you if it helped my sled at all. I did the timing key, porting, heads, pipe, boondocker, and a few other things to my sled at the same time. Harmful? No, IMO not at all. All you have to do is run 92 after, which i am sure you are already doing if you are running a y-pipe and a pipe.

M
Dec 6, 2008
I put a 1.5 degree on mine and noticed a difference in throttle responce. Its also supposed to be 1 horse per degree (I think) which is cheap hp. Theres a real good write up on arcticchat.com

I have a 3 degree key in my 700 motor. Its very easy to do. All you do is pop the flywheel off and replace the stock flywheel key with the advanced key. I honestly can't tell you if it helped my sled at all. I did the timing key, porting, heads, pipe, boondocker, and a few other things to my sled at the same time. Harmful? No, IMO not at all. All you have to do is run 92 after, which i am sure you are already doing if you are running a y-pipe and a pipe.

actually, i am not runnin premimum rite now. my sled runs like **** if i run premium anywhere but in the mountains.
also, wher is the flywheel??? that sounds really stupid, but i am a newbe to arctic cat, and am used to all of the polaris stuyff. i have no idea how cat works and wher anything is. some pics would be really great.
also, what degree of a timing key would you suggest???

Premium Features