• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thermostat options

S
Dec 19, 2022
Lafayette CA
Hi all. Great site for info to avoid mistakes and trial & error.

I'm looking at thermostats for my 500 xcw to replace the stock unit for 2 reasons.

Primarily to be sure the engine gets up to full operating temp (with the smaller bypass opening) in the cold and deep powder.
I think with this, I wouldn't need to be messing with rad blockers etc. Going to run an engine blanket and if needed, a heat exchanger/coolant tank.

Secondly to have a spot to thread a trailtech temp sensor in where it will deliver an accurate coolant temp in the motor.

I'm seeing only 3 options. The watt-man thermo-bob. The selkirk thermostat and the C3. Is there anything else on the market?

They all look well made and I'm leaning toward the watt-man unit as it is least $. Any reason not to go cheap?

Another question: Which t-stat? the 180f or the 195f ?

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
You'll still need radiator blockers when it's deep regardless what thermostat you wind up with. A few years ago my buddy and I had similarly set up YZ450s, I had a thermobob and he had no thermostat and our temps or need for blocking radiators were always very similar. It was only after I started running a heat exchanger that my temperatures were somewhat stable but they add a bunch of weight and jury rigging that you have to deal with too.

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah, stilll need engine protection from snow and rad blockers. I've used both wattman and c3. Both worked. I'd go with the 195 stat. I run two ktm 500's currently. They run best at 195-200. The wattman is very well made but requires a little more space. C3 fits into the head and saves a bit of space. If the radiators stay cold the thermostat will not have any effect as the engine will run cold via convection in lower rad hoses.

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
The C3 one is nice as it has 3 ports for temp probes, heated bars etc if thats something you think you might want. Timbersled also makes their own as well

Premium Features