• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Best Fuel

D

dre

Jan 25, 2008
Portland OR
vimeo.com
I have been running premium fuel (90-93 octane) in my 2005 M6.... but yesterday my local dealership informed me that it'll run better on 87 octane.

He mentioned something about faster burning & that Arctic Cat sent out a press release about this. Got thoughts on this?

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I have been running premium fuel (90-93 octane) in my 2005 M6.... but yesterday my local dealership informed me that it'll run better on 87 octane.

He mentioned something about faster burning & that Arctic Cat sent out a press release about this. Got thoughts on this?

It's the chevron with techron ;) is this true only with stock I take it?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
87 stock for sure, if you add mods like a intake or pipe, y-pipe ect... you should run higher octane. the stock AC motors are low compression engines and the 87 burns faster with more of a bang. But if its a deep pow day you may want to try 89 oct, if your hood vents all plug up and you get a lot of heat under the hood it could start to pre detonate and higher octane requires higher heat to detonate.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
87 stock for sure, if you add mods like a intake or pipe, y-pipe ect... you should run higher octane. the stock AC motors are low compression engines and the 87 burns faster with more of a bang. But if its a deep pow day you may want to try 89 oct, if your hood vents all plug up and you get a lot of heat under the hood it could start to pre detonate and higher octane requires higher heat to detonate.

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. Makes sense to cut a few degrees from the motor. I might have to try a touch of octane boost on deep days & see if I notice a difference.

S

Higher octane fuels burn cooler, how could this be?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
the higher the octane the longer it burns, making it cooler. I'll give you the full story and then some, hope it helps. 87 burns quicker so if you take the same amount of fuel under compression and burn it and it burns at the same temp, then apply the fact that 87 is quicker then it means more heat at one instance. So if you run 87 oct when it ignites it blows up at the right time and burns all the fuel before it can leave the cylinder and as it is quicker it throws the piston faster. the reason for high octane is that under high compression and/or heat low octane fuels can pre detonate. think of a diesel in runs without spark just compression and heat. Say diesel is 60 octane. What happens in sleds when you put more power to them it raises the rate of compression because its turning faster with more power, and usually raises the rpms a little to. Most mod sleds run a little hotter as well. So with low octane fuel it can blow up before the ignition ignites it and the fuel burns on the compression stroke rather than the exhaust stroke and causes a lose in power. the higher the octane the better it holds up under compresion. When a two stoke(sled) gets a lot of heat under the hood and in the engine it progressively makes it run hotter, so once it starts to increase the heat it keeps going. the air fuel mixture runs through the crank case so if the engine temp increases so does your A/F mixture making it more likely to pre detonate. Let alone the rise in temp of the full induction system, I think we've all seen the melted chit under the hood of a m1000, you know that has to make an effect on intake temps. the sled has a air intake temp sensor to keep this kind of thing from happening but some don't have det sensors and the air temp increases a lot as it enters the crank case.

T
Jan 19, 2009
Georgetown ca
Fuel burns with what's called a flame front. If it blows up that's called detonation.
If you coils hear detonation outside the motor, another words without thesound deadning of the cylinder and head it would make a shot gun seem like a 22 riffle.
Anyway once the flame front gets to fast it super heats the remining fuel causing the fuels bonding agents to fail, exposes what's known as free radicals, once this happens combustion is out of control.
The higher the octain the more heat fuel can wistand before bonding agents fail. Giving you more detonation protection.
On deep snow days you mantain high cylinder and piston temps which will increase fuel temp inside engine such will increase the posibility of detonation.
My05 m7 runs great on 87 at above 7,000 ft but on deep days it gets up to 78% detonation on my under plug detonation sensors.
25% is the max I am comfortable with, 50% you will see signs on pistons.

Premium Features