• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Taking out diamond drive on 08 w/reverse

P
Nov 28, 2007
I have searched and found nothign for the removal of the diamond drive with reverse. I am going to put the Attack 20 on the big kitty and last night taking apart the sled, I pulled the break caliper apart, I believe there was a total of 4 allen head bolts, then the rotor came off, then I took the 5 bolts inside the tunnel off so the whole brake unit would come free. Then I went to the diamond drive, took all the little torq heads screws and pulled the cover off, then I took the 7 or so 1/2" nuts off the part the cover goes on, then I took the bolt off the reverse actuator, then the reverse actuator came off, then I slid the driveshaft to the brake side and took off the driveshaft. Is there an easier way to do this? I heard this should only take 10 minutes.

I will be pulling the attack off of the M7 tonight. Is there a certain way I should do this to make it easier? I know it doesnt have reverse.

P

pinit

Nov 26, 2007
white sulphur springs montana
here is how i did it
find some how to hold the rear of the sled up about chest high. Take the rear suspension out.
go to the brake side remove the nuts off the inside of the tunnel that hold the brake assembly to bulk head. take a long extention reach in the drive shaft and losen the bolt that goes to the other side. On a m7 the bolt will come all the way out and on the m8-10 it stays in the shaft. You do not need to take any of the brake apart
now go to the clutch side remove clutch. remove the plastic cover that is above the foot well so you can get to the revers servo nuts. Now remove all of the nuts that hold the dimond drive to the bulk head. now remove the servo motor, then you can pull the dimaon drive out. now you can slide the shaft towards the brake side, slide it over as far as you can and you can slip the track down and out. It may take a little bit to get it out but it will come.

if you have any questions give me a call 406 390 2404 Rodger

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
Ya there is a way easier way. There is a bolt that you access from the brake caliper side. You need an extention to reach in side the drive shaft. Once you remove that bolt jump to the diamond drive side. Remove all the nuts securing the drive to the bulkhead. (Don't remove the torx screws for the cover). I always remove the reverse actuator just too make it easier to remove the whole drive case. I also loosen off the track a little. You should be able to pull the case out with a little muscle now.

It only takes me about 15 mins to get mine out. The first time it took about 1/2 hour.

Good luck!

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
here is how i did it
find some how to hold the rear of the sled up about chest high. Take the rear suspension out.
go to the brake side remove the nuts off the inside of the tunnel that hold the brake assembly to bulk head. take a long extention reach in the drive shaft and losen the bolt that goes to the other side. On a m7 the bolt will come all the way out and on the m8-10 it stays in the shaft. You do not need to take any of the brake apart
now go to the clutch side remove clutch. remove the plastic cover that is above the foot well so you can get to the revers servo nuts. Now remove all of the nuts that hold the dimond drive to the bulk head. now remove the servo motor, then you can pull the dimaon drive out. now you can slide the shaft towards the brake side, slide it over as far as you can and you can slip the track down and out. It may take a little bit to get it out but it will come.

if you have any questions give me a call 406 390 2404 Rodger

pinit has it figured out.....i missed the track removal part...sorry!

P
Nov 28, 2007
There is a rubber piece on the clutch side that fits between the diamond drive and the motor brace. Does that come out? I can not get my diamond drive out on that side.

M

m8matt

Nov 26, 2007
I never took it out on mine. Like I said you might have to get a little aggressive with it to get it out.

Don't tell anyone but I hit mine with a rubber mallet a few times to loosen it up.

S
Dec 16, 2007
Hayden, ID
There is a rubber piece on the clutch side that fits between the diamond drive and the motor brace. Does that come out? I can not get my diamond drive out on that side.
The rubber piece comes out, and with all the nuts out the DD is still hard to get out, at least mine was it took some wiggling to get it to come free from the drivers shaft. Hope this helps

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
When you remove all the nuts holding the diamond drive to the bulk head. Loosen the 16mm bolt in the track shaft. Don't take it all the way out. Then use a hammer (soft blow) and hit the end of the extension. This will push the DD out away from the bulk head. Make sure you slack off the track first. just makes it come out easier.

Thunder

Y

yamazoom

Nov 26, 2007
Bozeman, MT
There are a total of 8 nuts that hold the diamond drive on, two are hidden somewhat at the top above the reverse servo, make sure you have those out. There is a small plate that protects the reverse servo from belt debris that is held on with 4 torx screws, remove the screws and cover and the entire diamond drive and reverse servo can be removed as an assy.

A
Jan 16, 2008
Cover removal

Anyone have any tips on how to get the cover only. i had it off this past summer but cant remember how i did. i think the case is leakin oil by the reverse actuator and i want to re-seal. any tips would be helpful.

Premium Features