• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Strange Bulkhead Damage

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
And the fun continues, found this while swapping in new motor mounts...

Probably going to roll the dice and ride it this weekend as we are getting a dump of fresh snow. Starting to wonder if I should be looking into a whole new tunnel/bulkhead?
With this much damage, hard to say what else is twisted until I start trying to put new/straight parts back on it.

2020-01-16 15.43.46.jpg

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
Well, had some help and got the bulkhead and brace replaced on the PTO side. Everything lined up quite well, just had to convince the upper pyramid a bit, but otherwise fairly smooth, was able to support the motor with a strap and that made the swap much easier.2020-01-29 16.51.24.jpg2020-01-29 21.03.21.jpg2020-01-29 22.17.25.jpg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I think the guys have pretty much nailed, that thing took a HIT!!!

Looks like you're working through it and will be able to get it up and running. It sucks when stuff like this comes up but.....unfortunately it happens. Keep us posted on how it works out!

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
Thanks guys, this definitely took a big hit before, fortunately the damage wasn't too hard to replace, just sucks that it was covered up and not disclosed.
I did have it running for the weekend, did a trail ride for a shakedown on Fri, then a local poker run on Sat that was very rough. So far all good, just some bearings and bushings to check/replace. Hoping it is just normal maintenance now.
Here is a pic from the trail ride on Fri.2020-01-31 15.52.41.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Thanks guys, this definitely took a big hit before, fortunately the damage wasn't too hard to replace, just sucks that it was covered up and not disclosed.
I did have it running for the weekend, did a trail ride for a shakedown on Fri, then a local poker run on Sat that was very rough. So far all good, just some bearings and bushings to check/replace. Hoping it is just normal maintenance now.
Here is a pic from the trail ride on Fri.View attachment 339433

You might want to put your gas cans in front of your tunnel bag.

Crinkled tunnels are no fun.

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
You might want to put your gas cans in front of your tunnel bag.

Crinkled tunnels are no fun.
Already looking at better solutions, they started wearing through the powder coat already. I have read about the weak tunnels, but was hoping that the mountain armor bumper should take care of the issue for the most part. Should I still be concerned about putting much weight on the tunnel?

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Already looking at better solutions, they started wearing through the powder coat already. I have read about the weak tunnels, but was hoping that the mountain armor bumper should take care of the issue for the most part. Should I still be concerned about putting much weight on the tunnel?

That bumper does look stout.

I just always get worried when the weight is that far back. (It will make it bottom out the suspension easier also)

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
the farther rearward the weight, the more torque exerted on the tunnel. same principal as using a breaker bar.

Premium Features