• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

storing 09 M8 for the summer? What to do?

B
Jan 20, 2009
K i'm about ready to throw my 09 M8 in storage for the summer my track is screwed and theres not much snow here. My question is how do I go about it? Do I just throw some fuel stabilizer in it and leave it? Thanks again guys!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
No stabil. Throw a new track on it and RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For real, fill the tank 1/2 full or better and put some stabilizer in it. Start the machine and let it run for about 2 minutes. Put your skis and track on some boards and you will be fine.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i spray wd 40 on shock rods as well..and if you don;t start it a few times during the summer then fog the engine...there is a whole section on summer storage right at the back of your owners manual

rcr1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Spring Creek NV
I have seen this also but not plugging anything up just a red residue, I figured it would dissolve with gas though after a little bit.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I always used sea foam on my 98 zr 600 efi, and it always worked well, cleaned up the fuel system too! Has anyone done this with the newer sleds, and will it hurt anything?

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I'm sorry your season is already over. Here I. Utah we will be riding into June I bet.

S
Dec 8, 2008
Eagle Point, Oregon
I'm confused. Stabil's website shows red for 2 and 4-strokes. Are you talking about the new "marine" Stabil?

STA-BIL Website

Yes. The Doo dealer here sumerized all of his sleds with the red stuff. Messed up every one of his carbed sleds and my wifes also. the ethanol wreaks havoc on the 2 stroke and since there is so much condensation with hot/cold cycles the marine one is the one to use. Red is made for 2 stroke but mainly chainsaws, weedeaters and quad/motorcycles. This is what Stabil told him. I have seen several other 2 strokes that used the red stuff and they were gelling also. one was a race quad and between the ethanol and stabil made a nice gelatonous glob and stopped fuel flowing through his pep ****.

you can use it if you want but I will use the marine one. even says best ethanol fighter, and corosion.

C

chuckbernard

Jan 7, 2008
So, if you're not premixing why would it make a difference whether your carb is on a 2-stroke or 4-stroke?

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
Fill your gas tank so the air wont cause condensation. I usually put in some Stabil and some deicer to absorb any moisture. I also try to start 'em up once a month to run gas thru.(and remember how good it was last year...) The carbs used to get gummed up from the drying fuel but dont think the injected ones do that as bad. I get dd, clutches and valves serviced so I'll be ready to go in the Fall.

S
Dec 8, 2008
Eagle Point, Oregon
So, if you're not premixing why would it make a difference whether your carb is on a 2-stroke or 4-stroke?

this is true but I don't really think that it has to do with the 2 stroke oil just the time sitting. 4 stroke can handle more crap going through it, I.e. larger jets and things than 2 stroke. Usually doesn't sit as long and heat???? Just what was passed and only thing it could be tied to.
I for one would like to save a couple of hours tearing down and cleaning if possible.

Premium Features