• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Stator/Flywheel removal 900 RMK

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Trying to split my crankcase and am having trouble getting the flywheel/stator removed. The book shows that it needs a special tool...

How exactly does this thing come off and do I really need the special tool?

Thanks,
Nolan

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
You could probably do it w/out the special puller, but I would use the correct puller to avoid damaging anything.:D

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Special puller ONLY!!

Do not even TRY to use a jaw type puller.

If you dont have expereince... find someone who does for your first time if you want to keep from making an expensive mistake.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
its the style of puller thats is critical...and the 20.00 one is just as safe to use as the 200 hundred dollar one..for my cat it is the harmonic balancer puller that is equivelant to o.e.m and i bought it at Canadian Tire for 20 bucks....as with any puller for the flywheel it is good to bolt firm with the three bolts so your bolt length is important as not to be to long and realistically no advantage is in having them extend past the threaded puller holes anyway...grease the tip and threads of the center bolt

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
Thanks for the info. Anybody have a picture and and procedure on how to do this? I will most likely go to my dealer for the first time and watch how its done. Just looking for some info that I can learn on.

Thanks,
Nolan

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Nolan...

WHATS UP BROTHER!!!!!

glad to see your finally getting some work done to your 900...you getting ready for the "special" project...

hope your summers been going good man..i havent even started anything on mine yet..in due time, lol...

hit me up when you get some time and let me know whats going on..

dont have a pic of the puller/removal but its very imp to do it right..i just took my AC motor in the other sled to the dealer to have him remove it...cost me $10...plus..once its off..its much easier to get it off if you need it after that haha...

anyways bro. good luck and stay in touch..

sean

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I've seen guys use pullers with bolts that were too long and take out their stators. In fact there was a pic on here not that long ago with one destroyed. I don't remember what the correct tool cost, but I don't think it was that bad.:confused:

Check your flywheel magnets very close. I have seen 2 900 flywheels with the bonding agent that holds the magnets on fail and take out stators. Both were 05's.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
20-135.gif

http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=24&productID=217

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Stator

I took my bottom end down to my local dealer and they pulled the stator off for free. Not to difficult with an impact gun and flywheel puller. The mechanic didn't use a holding tool to hold it from spinning either, just a quick hit from the impact gun to break the nut loose and once the puller was attached he hit the puller with the impact and was able to slide everything off.

After I pulled the engine I found my rear coolant hose was getting a wear mark worn through it from my steering post and front motor mounts are cracking and need to be replaced.

Last edited:
Premium Features