• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spider Swap

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Hey,

Got a blown spider roller off an 08 m1000. Spider itself is fine.

Wondering which spider I can use back in there?
I would like to buy an STM but nobody in Canada has them. Need to ride 'yesterday'.

Read on the forum that the M7 spider said to work--
0746-115 SPIDER-ASSY-MACH $226.79
Also supposed to fit an M8 clutch.

Also found a rebuild kit--
Arctic Cat Part Number: 1639-029
Description: KIT, SPIDER REBUILD - 99 DR CLUTCH
Each: $119.29 (Canadian Dollars)

Let me know what you guys think.

TP

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Had same problem with my 08M1k and ended up buying the billet spyder from Supreme Tool. So far so good its a nice unit but a little pricey. I hope your dealer has better luck getting your spyder off then mine did. By the time they got the stock one off it was mangled, luckly they didn't damage anything else.

I wish I could justify buying the billet primary from Supreme Tool and get read of this pile that AC put on. I just don't think a roller should go out after one year and I have heard of several with the same problem.

Nov 12, 2008
I don't know if a dealer is the right place to take off a spyder. I did mine with the help of a few guys a our HD mech shop Needed a 12 foot snipe and a vice on large metal work bench had 3 guy on bench holding it and 2 on the snipe. I was almost going to use the tourque magnifier and chains to hold the bench to get it off

D
Nov 28, 2007
I don't know if a dealer is the right place to take off a spyder. I did mine with the help of a few guys a our HD mech shop Needed a 12 foot snipe and a vice on large metal work bench had 3 guy on bench holding it and 2 on the snipe. I was almost going to use the tourque magnifier and chains to hold the bench to get it off

Got to heat it was well with a propane torch not a oxy/ astatine ( to hot ) the propane is hot enough to melt the lock tight. If not you stand the risk of ripping the threads out of the spider.

Don.

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
LOL,

12' snipe. YeeHaww! Torque multiplier- if it's a 12:1, I'd love to see a picture of that. Like Dono says, everything comes off with heat. I'll gladly take it to the dealer for dis-assembly- they break, they buy.

S

Snow Junkie

Mar 9, 2009
Its not hard at all to remove the spider if you have the right tools. No matter what you will need a 30-36" breaker bar or leverage device as well as an impact. My particular spider tool has a 1/2" drive in the end which I use the impact on. As well as the post being 1 1/4" hex. where I use the breaker bar while impacting at the same time. While holding decent pressure on the bar , I hit the impact and it usually comes off in a couple seconds. If the impact doesn't move it with a few short blast then you need more heat. I personally prefer acetalyne as it will heat up just the thread area fast enough before the heat travels to the rollers. Propane will work but since it takes much longer the heat has time to spread throughout the spider to the rollers. By myself it takes me about 15 minutes or less. Anything smaller than a half inch impact usually doesn't work. I immediately use the air gun to cool it down evenly. If you find yourself really reefing on it , this is when I have seen people break things.

Spider

Hey,

Got a blown spider roller off an 08 m1000. Spider itself is fine.

Wondering which spider I can use back in there?
I would like to buy an STM but nobody in Canada has them. Need to ride 'yesterday'.

Read on the forum that the M7 spider said to work--
0746-115 SPIDER-ASSY-MACH $226.79
Also supposed to fit an M8 clutch.

Also found a rebuild kit--
Arctic Cat Part Number: 1639-029
Description: KIT, SPIDER REBUILD - 99 DR CLUTCH
Each: $119.29 (Canadian Dollars)

Let me know what you guys think.

TP

Holy Chit!! You guys in Canada get hit hard $163.00 retail here in the states for that spider. I can sell it for $146.00 That converts to $186.00 Canadian.
I can ship it for $15.00 US. through USPS Priority Mail.

Like others have said. You have to use a Propane Torch to remove the spider.

Premium Features