• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sound of metal grinding on 07 m8?

A
Nov 21, 2008
sorry to tell you man but it sounds like diamond drive a buddy of mine had that same noise 2 weekends ago he took it to the dealer and apparently you cant get parts for them you have to buy the whole thing for a 1500dollar bill

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
If you need a reverse drive I have 2 in stock, one with BD gears fresh and not used with new gears and one brand new in box. 60/60 gears in new one and 59/61 in used one.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
sorry to tell you man but it sounds like diamond drive a buddy of mine had that same noise 2 weekends ago he took it to the dealer and apparently you cant get parts for them you have to buy the whole thing for a 1500dollar bill

You can get a diamond lite way cheaper than that or rebuild the one you have with BDX gears for even cheaper.

S
Diamond Drive again!

I suspected the DD. Hopefully warranty will cover the replacement again.

Last time it went reverse dropped with a loud clunk. This time reverse is ok, just the grinding metal.

How well does the BDX reverse gearing work with the AC DD?

Thanks for the help!

A
Mar 30, 2009
ill bet anything that the welds on the transfer gear in your dd broke and the secondary gear slipped. when this happens it destroys your planetary. i work at a cat shop and have seen a dozen of these. if its not under warranty, you can still replace just those parts. its about $450 for the transfer gear/planetary assembly. just pull your dd, drain, remove the top case half and shift fork, and the planetary/ transfer gear will pull out of the reverse housing. flip it over and pull the bearing on the back side. then you can take the transfer gear out of the planetary. most likely you will see broken welds on the transfer gear and broken teeth on the planetary. if so, check all your bearings (especially the output shaft bearing) , and drop a new assembly in. another option is replacing your dd with a 2009 version. you will not have reverse but the transfer gear is splined instead of welded and much stronger. i would tell you to put a 2009 transfer gear in but those parts are still unavailable. if a dealer tells you that you have to replace the entire drive, call another dealer. let me know. good luck!

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
ill bet anything that the welds on the transfer gear in your dd broke and the secondary gear slipped. when this happens it destroys your planetary. i work at a cat shop and have seen a dozen of these. if its not under warranty, you can still replace just those parts. its about $450 for the transfer gear/planetary assembly. just pull your dd, drain, remove the top case half and shift fork, and the planetary/ transfer gear will pull out of the reverse housing. flip it over and pull the bearing on the back side. then you can take the transfer gear out of the planetary. most likely you will see broken welds on the transfer gear and broken teeth on the planetary. if so, check all your bearings (especially the output shaft bearing) , and drop a new assembly in. another option is replacing your dd with a 2009 version. you will not have reverse but the transfer gear is splined instead of welded and much stronger. i would tell you to put a 2009 transfer gear in but those parts are still unavailable. if a dealer tells you that you have to replace the entire drive, call another dealer. let me know. good luck!
same thing happened to me. think I'm going wit a bd extreme dd lite for mine

Premium Features