• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SLP Setup: Which Box and Which Guage?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Going to put an SLP single setup on my 08 M1k is the new Power Commander from Dynojet the ticket? I know that A/F is the way to go which one should I go with? Where should I mount the O2 sensor in the pipe right before the can or in the neck of the can? I will also be running a RKT 13.6 head. Will these domes work good for my elevations 3-7K? I know lots of questions any help would be appreciated.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I'm running the KOSO A/F gauge and a Boondockers box. The KOSO is okay, I love it when it's working but seems to be having some issues on the cats. I mounted the sensor almost opposite pipe sensor in the expansion chamber, seems to be working well there. I like the BD box, I use the capture feature when tuning and most of the time when riding. When you see something on the A/F gauge that needs attention just push the capture button and when you stop next time it tells you exactly what RPM and range you were at when it happened. Real quick and easy to make changes. A lot of people don't like the BD box but I think a lot of it is a lack of understanding how it works and not knowing all the features. I'm using the TPS sensor to pull fuel when the power valves open so that takes the guess work and hassle of trying to do it on the regular menu. You can just leave the 6700 range on the box alone and let the TPS feature do the work for you.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Well I did end up ordering the Koso A/F guage, what issues are you having with it? Did you buy the 2stroke addapter for it? I also went with the Power Commander as SLP highly recommended it due to the added ability to tune in more rpm ranges. I hope it works good and doesn't turnout to be one of those nightmares to tune and has to be adjusted constantly. Is anybody else running the power commander?

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
i just got my KOSO back from KOSO and they updated the programming in it which is supposed to make it work MUCH better. will be riding with it tomorrow. Will report on its working after that.

Don't know anyone with the Power Commander on a sled. Know of tons of guys that have them on their street bikes though! :D

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Hoping to have everything installed for next weekend providing it shows up next week. I will report back when I have some seat time with it. How did you install your Koso as far as wiring and were did you put the O2 sensor

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
Well I did end up ordering the Koso A/F guage, what issues are you having with it? Did you buy the 2stroke addapter for it? I also went with the Power Commander as SLP highly recommended it due to the added ability to tune in more rpm ranges. I hope it works good and doesn't turnout to be one of those nightmares to tune and has to be adjusted constantly. Is anybody else running the power commander?

I'm running the Power Commander with the SLP pipe on an '09 M10. I think it's much cleaner from low to mid, top end feels the same to me. I've only got about 40 miles with the Power Commander and about 250 with the BD box. I'll be riding with 2 other M10's tomorrow with the SLP pipe and BD boxs, so I'll be able to do some side by side comparisons. P.C. cleaned up the delivery throughout the powerband. I think the BD box works good in on the top end, but it doesn't fill the gaps in the low and mid range.

The BD is a little more user friendly with the ability to adjust the box on the hill. So far the P.C. was a plug in and ride and I haven't needed to adjust anything. I'll know more tomorrow after I can compare with 2 other sleds set up identically.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
i just got my KOSO back from KOSO and they updated the programming in it which is supposed to make it work MUCH better. will be riding with it tomorrow. Will report on its working after that.

Hey quick did Pierre tell you exactly what the programming was suppose to improve? And yes please keep us posted on how yours works. The ones I have played with seem real finicky on the power source and not always consistent to initialize. Some better that others even on the same model of sled.

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
I'm running the Power Commander with the SLP pipe on an '09 M10. I think it's much cleaner from low to mid, top end feels the same to me. I've only got about 40 miles with the Power Commander and about 250 with the BD box. I'll be riding with 2 other M10's tomorrow with the SLP pipe and BD boxs, so I'll be able to do some side by side comparisons. P.C. cleaned up the delivery throughout the powerband. I think the BD box works good in on the top end, but it doesn't fill the gaps in the low and mid range.

The BD is a little more user friendly with the ability to adjust the box on the hill. So far the P.C. was a plug in and ride and I haven't needed to adjust anything. I'll know more tomorrow after I can compare with 2 other sleds set up identically.

Spent the day riding both sleds. I said before than the PC is "much cleaner from low to mid" actually it does runner a little bit crisper but after running both sleds back to back, the only noticable difference to me is right at the bottom end. I feel that I may have been too hard on the BD. I still have the BD box, but I'm going to stick with the PC b/c it is a "little cleaner" on bottom end. Do I think it's worth $300 to upgrade? not really. But the PC is still new and may get better with more tuning and time.

Bottom line is, both of these boxes do great things for the M10 and they really shine in the steeper pulls! Good luck guys!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Ill chime in. As I posted above I too am running the Koso A/F and sent it back because it would not work properly. After getting it back I have had very few issues it works much better and I can actually believe what its telling me. It powers up 19/20 pulls and takes a probably 30 seconds to go through the heat sink and then it works good. I ended up hooking into the red/black coming out of the regulator (08M1K) and the only thing I don't really like is when I hit reverse it kills the power and then turns it back on.

If you have the Koso A/F I would send it back in to get the firmware upgraded.

B

Bullcamp

Dec 6, 2007
WY
Bd/pc

Not too sure how these would help my M10 but got my furnace started. That's a step in right direction. :beer;:)

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
Powercomander: We have always used BD box, but did last week installed a PC on A dragon 700. The PC does it right on the dragon. Will have ha PC on my next sled for sure. Like the ability to take/add fuel whwerever I want in the rpm range.

About the KOSO O2, we have ran 4 sleds this winter whit it. We have tried several locations for it, one pipe is filled whit holes by know, and we ended up whit having it in the Y-Pipe. That`s seems to be the best location. As warmer it`s around the sensor, as better it seems to work. Tried to move it longer out in the main pipe, and it just get worse. Also installed a powerswitch on two sleds. If it`s not turned on after heat cycle, just kill the power to it. Take a couple of pulls at wot tho get some pipe temp, then power it again, and then it works.
And the O2 2-stroke sensor adapter is just waste of money. None of the sleds manage to get the koso work whit the adapter installed.

Premium Features