• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled is jerky

L
Jan 11, 2017
So my 04 Polaris 600 edge touring started riding really jerky the other day. It doesn't want to pick up speed and if I try to go faster the engine bogs a little. I can also smell a bit of belt burning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the problem have something to do with something in the chaincase? It's like there's too much resistance from the track/chaincase/jackshaft. Need help where to look first. Thanks

L
Jan 11, 2017
By the way, it started doing this after I was stuck one day and went in forward and reverse a bunch of times trying to get out

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Sounds like you burnt the belt, or the belt is coming apart. I would remove and inspect the belt.
Normally the jerky feeling comes from one or more missing cogs on the inside of the belt. Eric

L
Jan 11, 2017
I put my new belt on it today, and it still does the same. I noticed when I am going slower, it feels like something is rattling, and when I go faster, it the rattle speeds up and is more like a vibration. Hard to describe. Could a loose weight in the primary clutch cause that?

L
Jan 11, 2017
I put a new belt on it. I partially took apart my primary clutch and cleaned the weights and pins because they were a bit sticky. They aren't worn and they move freely now. When I ride slow, I can feel a definite jerk every few seconds. When I go faster, it turns into an extra vibration. What would cause that? Just looking for answers without tearing apart the whole sled. Would a bad bogie wheel bearing cause that?

O

olymon

Check for proper chain tension in your case. Maybe you stretched the chain some mired with all that.forward to reverse action. I always check for the rotational play by hand in the secondary while tightening the chain. You want to have some play in the secondary, but not much

Making JIS screws into junk

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
I would just pop the chain cover off and have a look. If your problem is in there it would be obvious. Do you grease the drive shaft bearing under the secondary? Or the jack shaft bearing behind the clutch?

L
Jan 11, 2017
Yes I did grease the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings. I will have to check chain tension and maybe look inside the chaincase later next week. Thanks.

Premium Features