• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ron

R
Jan 11, 2009
ron, wanted to ask about your new weights. i pretty much ride 3000 to 6000 ft. run carl's helix. last year ran bb 64g. now have dropped down to 62g. pulling 8100 to 8300 rpm. bright green primary and black/purple secondary. Thanks

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Gees a thread with my name, hard to miss.

I don't want to make a lot of claims about the weight because they are just another tool in clutch tuning. I did much the same as you except the opposite went from 62 BB's to 64's. Also tried a bunch of helix, spring combinations and several Polaris weights. What I "thought" I needed wasn't available in a weight. I needed heavier weights on low end, but they were too heavy mid & up. Light weights worked great in hardpack but trenched in soft snow. Lighter weights also seem to realease slow so that there is an "engine braking effect". If you let off the throttle abruptly, it's like you slammed on the brakes.

So I started customizing weights by changing the location of the mass until I found the sweet spot.:D The result exceeded my expectations-a lot. :D So just for fun I am building a few sets for others to try. The concept seems to work at different altitudes and with different mods-stock, single pipe, single pipe/ported. The clutching seems more forgiving of altitude changes and snow conditions. My fuel economy and oil consumption improved dramatically overnight. This is starting to sound like a lot of BS but that's my honest opinion and results.

At present I have the equivalent of 58, 60, 62, 64 & 66 gram weights-will probably add some 68 & 70's pending results at lower altitudes. The profile of the weight is unchanged, just the "mass" moves. I decided to call them Big*Torque weights because they get the CFI engine torque to the track. I'll PM you some addl. info.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Ron...ran your test weights today...you were right on with your description of how they work....dropped about 150 to 200 rpm from the top end but the response (torque) from the whole bottom end on up was unbelievable. You have got something there that works well. Let another guy ride my sled today that has an 09 800 dragon to get his opinion. His was stock. He was amazed at the difference. And yes...I noticed better gas milage thru the day. I am impressed. Going to PM you to get a set for the higher altitude when you have them completed. Sled ran great and climbed like a billygoat:D:D:beer;:beer;

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Ron
Do you have a setup that will work in the 700 Dragon? The wife has a 07 700 155 its completely stock We ride from 6000-9000ft.

Thanks
Caesy

There's no reason they wouldn't work in a 700 have not tried that yet. Carl's Cycle has a good setup for the 7's.

D
Nov 28, 2007
Hi Ron, I am knew to the whole clutching business... but anyways I am looking to pull the trigger on getting some clutching done on my 08 dragon 800. I was thinking of going with a carls setup.. but it seem there is some tweaking that still needs to bee done... is there maybe someway you could put together for me, it would be much appreciated! also is there some special sequence you have the weights in... again sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, I'm trying to learn:eek: thanks and cheers ohh and I have a single slp and can, and airhorn if it make any difference

D
Nov 28, 2007
....also one more quick question when riding at a certain altitude (I ride between 5 to 7 thousand feet)do you have to have a set up for that particular altitude?

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
....also one more quick question when riding at a certain altitude (I ride between 5 to 7 thousand feet)do you have to have a set up for that particular altitude?
PM'd you too! As with any clutching setup you need the correct amount of weight to keep RPM in the engines "power band". Elevation saps a lot of power so the weights must be lighter as you go up the mtn. Rule of thumb is 2 grams per 2000'. RPM is one factor but getting the drive and driven in sync is equally important.

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Ron or anyone else. stupid question, but where do i find a "pm" message. is it an e-mail or is it on this site? Thanks

Or in the upper right hand corner of the screen-where it says welcome, 2 lines down is private messages, click there.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Question about an '05 700/144...

Almond round primary spring with 10-62 weights and stock team secondary. The sled works pretty well, but it builds quite a bit of belt heat.

Any recommendations for where to start if I need a secondary set up?

Thanks

VB

Premium Features